Problem please help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by toycopbassist, Dec 26, 2000.

1. toycopbassist

Aug 12, 2000
    ok i'm a new bass player and i'v been playing for like 3-4 months and well i got this electric tunner and i'm a Dumb... and did'nt read the instruction on how to use it and broke my A string and now i wanna know is there a big difference in string on my Squire p-bass and what kinda string should i put on it and how do i put it on cuz i baught a pac of strings and i put it on and wanna know if there is a right way or wrong way
    i would like any help

2. Do you know what gauge of strings came with the bass?
    Did the string break at the bridge, or the nut?
    Did you try to tune the string an octave higher than it should be, being new to the bass and to an electronic tuner (I've seen it done B4)?

You didn't fill out your profile, which would help to determine what your needs are. You are obviously a beginner, and you came to the right place for help - a good idea!

There are many threads on this website about the right and wrong ways to string basses. Use the search function to access some of them.
  3. toycopbassist

Aug 12, 2000
    i think i broke it at the nut but did put a new string on and it did work so i should be ok. um i play a squire p-bass from there starter pack and it works for me.

if that helps anyone help me Thanks

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    One thing to remember that will help...if you can get just one string in tune with your tuner, remember that the note at the 5th fret should be exactly the same as the next highest string open (not fretting any notes at all). This will prevent you from trying to tune an octave too high and possibly (or probably) breaking the string. When you're putting on a new string, just use the existing strings as a guide. The new one should be wound just like those.