Problem powering

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JohnL, Jun 10, 2005.

1. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I have a pedalboard with the following:

Sansamp BDDI
    EBS Compressor
    EHX Holy Grail reverb
    Boss Bass Chorus

I have been using the above for a while with batteries. (except for the Grail, which doesn't have battery power) The only problem I've had is the cost of replacing batteries. Someone suggested the OneSpot power source, which I purchased last week, along with the nifty daisy-chain connector cable. Now I have a noisy ground-like hum no matter what bass I plug in. The noise goes away if I touch the tuners or bridge of the basses. I have tried:

1. Plugging the One Spot into several different AC outlets and connecting basses to pedalboard - hum
    2. Plugging basses directly into amp - no hum, so it doesn't appear to be my basses.
    3. Plugging basses into each pedal individually, with battery power only, and into amp - no hum, so it doesn't appear to be any of my pedals.

Does anyone else use this power supply? If so, is this just a defective unit, or is it what I have to live with if I want to power the pedals with AC? The AC transformer on this thing is 2-prong, not 3, and neither of the prongs are wider than the other, as most plugs are today. Is that what might cause a grounding problem? Any replies or tips are appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

get a Godlyke instead.
  3. I think it's bullsh*t that pedals don't come with power supplies. A few months ago I bought an ME50B for almost 350.00 and no power supply? *** is that? Cheap companies trying to keep the prices down I guess. It's like buying a car, but the tires are extra.
  4. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Thanks Jazz AD. I tried around here, but none of the locals carry it for me to check it out. Do you use one, and is it quiet?
  5. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Voodoo Labs Pedal power II
  6. Question: Since the Holy Grail uses no batteries, are you sure it's 9V DC that powers it? My Q-tron is 24V if I remember correctly, so I can't use my 1-Spot to power it. It's just a thought, but according to 1-Spot's Compatibility Chart, it should work just fine.

The other thing you need to consider is now you're running an extension cord with some amperage through your room, whereas before all your power was contained in your pedals. Maybe the 1-Spot cord is picking up interference from your room's circuitry, lights, computer monitors, or whatever. You could try this: instead of running the 1-spot to a socket in the room, run a well-insulated extension cord or surge strip from the outlet to your pedal board, and plug the 1-Spot into that. For what it's worth, I like the 10' cord on the 1-Spot, but on most stages I play, 10' doesn't reach my amp, let alone an outlet, so I always run an extension cord and don't get hum.

ps. It's also quite rare to find a ground prong on an AC adaptor, and having both 'teeth' on the 1-Spot allows you to flip it over on a surge strip to suit your needs. Personally, I always hated that one-tooth-bigger-than-the-other BS. I call shenanigans.
  7. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA

There is an additional adapter for the EH Holy Grail. Please do a quick check and pull it out of your signal chain and let me know if that resolves the issue. The OneSpot is a direct replacement for Boss power supplies and I've used mine with several different EBS pedals.
  8. This is my board...note the variety. It's mounted on an SKB board, but I use the 1 Spot instead of the SKB power supply, daisy chain through the tuner, from the 1 Spot's chain, and a couple of rattails from the SKB. By the way, the Line 6 Echo Park didn't last. Made too much noise (which is explained at - Line 6's problem, not the adaptor).

9. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    The Grail is not the problem. I do not use the One Spot to power it, because it does have the odd power supply. Also, I had already mentioned that I tried several different outlets. No computers or flourescents. I also tried power strip/no power strip...noisy both ways. Also, thanks for the advice to buy yet more gear, ;) but right now I would really like to know if I have a defective unit, or that these things are all a piece of cheap crap.
  10. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    ive been using one for 2 years now, hundreds of shows, always with an extension cord, and havent had any problems.
  11. Hey now. :eyebrow:

I think you might have a defective unit.
  12. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    It is possible you have a defective unit.

Where did you get it? You should be able to make an exchange. If you have any problems, PM me and I'll see if I can intervene somehow.
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I notice this when using pedal power with quite a few pedals of mine. Cheaper ones are worse, but I think it may be interaction along the ground of the pedals. I have thought of installing a filter capacitor in a little box inline with the adapter, but I haven't gotten around to it, yet.
  14. godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    I was playing around with mine the other night, and it seemed like if you had too many unused connectors on the daisy chain, it would hum.
  15. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Since the problem is solved when you touch the bridge or tuners, it must be in the 'groundsection'. I've used the Visual Sound for several years now and it has never let me down in terms of hiss or functionality.

The problem is often with lighting and monitors or other electrical equipment. Some rooms I get a lot of hiss, sometimes due to pick-ups and sometimes other problems. Perhaps an original or more suitable adaptor for the EH could be an idea, but don't go thinking of replacing the VS. It's a 'hell of a gadget'..

And second.....the earth is hardly an issue with AC-stuff... ;)
  16. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Sounds odd, but that was it, Godraphonic. After trying in several rooms, different circuits, etc., I tried plugging in 4 pedals and the hum went away. Can't explain it, and I know that shouldn't make a difference, but that's what happened!
  17. I know this is the cheap way to do it but my dad gets free power adapter from his work and I just reverse the wires so the plug and tip switch polarity, and I got a daisy chain from a buddy of mine for free so all my pedal got power. Plus I have a power strip with a 20 ft cord on my board so I never reakky have to worry about where im going to set up. :)

make sure that if their are any plugs that arent being used are tuching any other of your pedal housing, this happend on my board and got me all pissy about my board than I found out why and rapped it in electrical tape.
  18. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i use a dunlop brick. i've had no problems or hum with it. has space for 7 9v pedals and 3 18v pedals. sorry, i have no experience with the onespot. but just my two hundreths of a dollar