1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem re stringing my bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KcHxC, Apr 26, 2010.

1. KcHxC

KcHxC

Apr 26, 2010
    So i've had my bass for 5 months now and the 1st and 2nd fret started to make sort of a clanky chink noise when i'd play them. I thought it meant it was time for new strings. So I got some nickel wounds and got them on the bass but now instead of the clanky noise being on just the first two frets it's the first 5 or 6 depending on the string. I think it may be the bridge and that the strings are just not raised high enough. Anyone have any clue? Any ideas are helpful thanks guys :hyper:

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    When you change strings you should also do a setup. Adjust the neck, adjust the bridge height, and adjust the bridge intonation.

If you don't know how then learn. It is not rocket science. Get someone local to teach you.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It sounds like you need more relief (forward bow) in the neck. Buzzing below the 5th fret is a symptom of not enough relief. The truss rod needs to be loosened a little.

Conversely, just for future reference, buzzing above the 12th fret means you have too much relief. With proper relief you should have no buzzing anywhere on the neck.

4. I find more often than not when you get fret buzz within the first 5 or 6 frets the neck just needs a little relief. As the posters above suggested do a set up.

5. KcHxC

KcHxC

Apr 26, 2010
    After reading some of the articles and posts, I'm leaning towards the lack of relief in the neck. However I need an allen wrench to loosen it up a tad bit which I do not have at the moment.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Bets is a diff brand or gauge strings that you used. Not a bad thing at all. But does as others said often mean a little truss rod tweak is needed for them.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
  8. Then it's time for the next step - start buying the tools you need to take care of your instruments. Don't buy A wrench, buy an entire set...and get some good quality (not cheap) screwdrivers with #1 and #1 tips, a good pair of sidecutters, and whatever else comes to mind. There are more tools in your future.