1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem(s),problem(s)....What to do??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millsbass5, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Let's see.I started playing bass guitar Christmas of 1978.I was in the 6th grade.

Ever since,I've been dead serious about learning all I can about the instrument,and bass-related gear.But,not so much the tech-side of things,(Freq. response,harmonic dist. in an amp,etc.,etc.).I just can't make myself privy to that stuff.

After 12 years of solid "stick my nose to the ol' grindstone playing/practicing," (9 of those first 12 years gigging in bars,yes,at age 15!/practicing),I was left with "wanting more".SO,ENTER THE 5-STRING BASS!!

I'm proud to say that pretty much everything that I've desired to accomplish on the instrument,I have.Well,with the exception of the "fantasy-laden" multi-million dollar record deal,roadies,and mucho groupies (that ALL US GIGGING bassists wish for at a 3:00 a.m. load-out!!).I'm WAY past that,at age 43!!I do it now for the sheer love of music and,the instrument that "chose" me.

Don't get me wrong now.I'm not claiming to be a "complete,master/be all,end all,bass-guru".I just consider myself a solid,versatile,bottom-dweller (by choice,you shredders!!I can slap'n'tap w/confidence),groove-oriented player,that can pretty much "fake" his way through just about anything thrown his way.All without batting an eye,if the situation should arise.That's from a LOT of improvised/off-the-cuff jams and club gigs over the years,kids.I don't care what anybody says:IT HELPS!!!.Debate me all you want on that.I'll win that debate every time!!

BUT.......(There's ALWAYS "that" word when a problem is presented to a player!!).After all my years of dedicating myself to my instrument,there's a problem that I can't seem to overcome:My problem is SO SIMPLE,yet so difficult!!But(See?There's "that word",again!!),one thing I do know.It's a mental block.I know,I know,"Get on with what your problem is!!"

PROBLEM:Being able to switch from my 5-string to my 4-string without "thinking too much,while playing".Why??I think it's because I've been playing 5-string so long (my mistake),since 1988-89.
    Also,I've just implemented the B-string into my playing-style so much.But,not too much,mind you,IMHO.
    I can find myself locked into a tight,kick-ass groove,and then,I'll start looking for that low-B (dammit!!)....THE RESULT??:A "MICRO"-TRAIN WRECK!!I recover quickly!!
    Bottom line??On my 4-strings,I don't play as "fluidly" as I do on my 5-string basses.My playing is very "hesitant".I'm "thinking too much".Constantly reminding myself that I'm playing a 4-string.

QUESTION:What was your "cure" with this problem??That is,if you were unlucky enough to have this problem.
    I have some really,really nice 4-strings that are just BEGGING to be played more.My most noteworthy 4-string basses are:'61,'71 Jazz Basses,and (my personal favorite),a '75 Jazz bass.

So,what was your "cure"??This is killin' me.I'm very hard on myself when it comes to my playing.

***My apologies for the long,rambling post.***

2. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Just a thought...If you don't mind losing the "G" string you could string one your 4-strings "B-E-A-D"

I did this with a P-bass and it was hoot to play, however there were times I missed that G.

I did have to "file" the nut to accommodate the .135 B and .105 E string, (Obviously not recommended if it's a super valuable or collector bass) but the A & D sat in just fine. (I had a local guitar shop do the final set-up).

I still have a Traditional strung 4-string too, and I know exactly what your talking about when transitioning between the 2.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'd say you have 2 options. 1)If it is a 'micro' train wreck, and you recover quickly, just keep playing the 4s and enjoy. The train wrecks will come less and less often. 2)If you are truly bummed, see a shrink.

4. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    I'd say just stick to the 5. Get a 5 that does what you like in your 4 strings so you don't have to use them anymore.

I've gone down the same slippery slope myself having gone to the 6 string. I'm beginning to adapt to having the extra range and have begun refingering stuff I've always done on 4 and 5's using the extra strings on the 6. The last time I picked up one of my 4's I found myself reaching for the extra strings rather than shifting like I used to do.

But my current 6 string (carvin bunny brunel) does everything I need tone-wise that my other basses did and has better fit as well. so I pretty much just use the one bass for everything. That way I don't have to worry about switching back and forth.

LS

5. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I go from 4 to 6 more than anything and I always think/play differently on each instrument (attack, technique, etc.).

Haven't played my 5's in a while.