Problem Solving

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CustomFbass, Jan 24, 2004.

1. CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    So I figured out that it was my compressor causing my rig to make a loud popping noise. At last practice I disconnected my rig and just plugged directly into my head and cab. It sounded way better too for some reason. I like that ampeg grind. Now the thing is. Could it just be my effects loop? Or the actual compressor. Is there any way of figureing that out? Or could it also be that i share the compressor with my guitarist?
  2. You share the compressor with the guitarist?
    You mean you take turns using it or... run simultaneously through it? :confused:
    I mean, can you share a compressor? Especially with a guitarist? Aren't the dynamics far too different for the compressor not to screw up your sound?
    First time I've heard of sharing compressors. I always believed compressors were a one-per-signal-line deal...

And so each day we learn of new things.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If the compressor has morethan one channel, you certainly can share it with more than one signal... ;)
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Could it just be my effects loop? Or the actual compressor. Is there any way of figuring that out?

Probably not for us, long distance, unless you post what amp and compressor you're using, eh?:cool:
  5. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    WEll, if you like it better without, this is probably superfluous, but...

If you have an attack time control on the compressor, try slowing it down.

A lot of compressor/limiters (more limiters actually) do put thru a surge or pop on the "attack" when they suddenly drop the gain as they detect an over-threshold signal.

It doesn't have to be a real pop, it might just be the way the gain reduction and signal interact.
    By slowing the attack, you tend to soften that and get less pops , and also less snappy response.

I like opto-based compressor/limiters, they tend not to do that.

But there is a place for them, and maybe you just discovered where that place isn't.....
  6. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Unless you are 100% sure on how to use compression, dont use it. It will ruin your sound more often than helping it. Also, Beringer compressors are crap. If you must use compression on your rig, buy a DBX266Xl or a Rane DC-22. These are two channel compressors that are miles ahead of the Beringer. The DBX can be had for about $160 while the Rane is about $250.

You should get a little bit of comprssion out of the three preamp tubes that are in your SVT. The best, and most common way to add comprsssion is off your sound board. You would want to use sub-grouping for this procedure. You could then assign which aux send/return to what ever sub-group(s) you wanted to add compression to. I would not reccomend adding compression in your bass rig. You really dont need it. But, to each there own!
  7. CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    Thanks for the help, I'll try turning down the attack speed.

Im using an Svt Pro 4 with a Classic 8x10 cab.

Im using an 5 string custom fbass.

It is a Berhinger Comproser Pro...stereo compressor so my guitarist uses the 2nd channel because of our tuning.

We play tech. hardcore melodic metal. like between the burried and me, hatebreed, that kind of stuff... so his tuning is drop B...without compression his guitar sounds like its plastic.