problem: sound get's 'floppy' and loses definition after a while

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Me and others have experienced the following:

After playing for a while (1 or 2hours), the sound of our rig seems to degrade in a certain way: less definition, more distortion.

Since I upgraded my rig (amp with twice the power, new cab) and since our band plays at lower volume (thanks to the new drummer) the problem is more or less solved for me.

But I still wonder what's the reason for this phenomenon:

the amp (getting hot, running out of headroom?)
    the cab?
    or my ears?

Since I changed all the parameters at the same time I can't do any A/B-testing :meh:

We already had a thread on a similiar topic:

comments appreciated!

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    My suggestion is this

Get someone not in the band to come along to a rehearsal. Get to listen for about 10-15 mins and then go away until the last 10-20 mins of the rehearsal.

What's the point? If they notice a degradation in sound then it will eliminate the possibility that it's your perception of the sound.
  3. Your ears are probably the problem. I have yet to see a band that plays anything less than Screaming Too Loud. Your ears are probably desensitized and deaf to higher notes.

My guitar player gets here quickly.

tune #1 - then turn up
    tune #2 - turn up some more
    tune #3 - crank to wide open
  4. yup, it's most likely your ears. Give 'em a break.
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria

No, we don't play that loud (any more), and our guitarist and band leader is of a very rare species: we regularily have to tell him to turn up his volume.

BTW I haven't realized this problem yet in my new band which plays at such civilized volume levels that an Ampeg BA 115 is sufficient for me (a very nice little amp BTW).

So I guess you're right about the ears being desensitized to higher frequencies.

6. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'm thinking:

It's your ears from fatigue.

The band gets louder from beginning to end.

If you sweat at all, then your finger tips soften progressively through the night, changing your tone drastically.
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    We don't play very loud at rehearsal either, but I always note how much louder and brighter everything sounds when we get back to playing after a coffee break. Could be your ears, they fade very quiclky if there are cymbals in the room...
  8. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Could be ear fatigue, but it could also be the effects of the speakers' voice coils getting hot.
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    or the affects of one too many Rehersal-Brews. :D