1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

problem with 77 stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 77mmstingray, Jul 6, 2012.

1. 77mmstingray

77mmstingray

Jan 29, 2012
    my 77 stingray has a pick up issue i think.
    the treble side screw gets loose and the g string vibrates against the pick up. I know this is an easy fix, however, the volume from the g string (and to a lesser extent the d string)is much lower than the e and a strings. anyone else have these issues?
    I just got this bass for free from my brother in law and i love the tone.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    The loose screw is an easy fix. You can just break off a toothpick in the hole and then re-insert the screw. The toothpick will give the screw a little extra to hold onto and should stay put.

As far as the weak G string goes, thats kind of a hot button topic. Some say all StingRay's have a weak G, others say that they don't, and then a few say some do some don't.

I'm in the "They all have a weak G" camp, BUT you can improve the string to string balance with setup and string choice. For me, I usually have the action a little more than a hair higher on the E string side than the G string side, and then raise the pickup so its just barely touching the G on the treble side, and then adjust the E side of the pickup so its balanced.

you my want to try a .50 G string, but I stick with >.45.

3. shrigg

shrigg Joy Decision Bassist/BL, AudioKinesis Beta Tester Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    Free is good! What a great brother! The lower output on the G string is a well known issue on Sting Rays. You could try lowering the other side of the pickup after tightening the treble side so it is secure.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    As mentioned, a toothpick inserted into the hole with the striped threads is a good fix... a better fix is dipping the toothpick in some wood glue first, then screwing in the screw... end result is better.

Weak G string is, as also mentioned, a common topic for discussion. Start by doing a complete setup. Then adjust pickup to factory specs... but play with the G string distance to the pups. On my fretless Stingray, I've found the sweet spot is actually a bit more distance... go figure.

Also.... have you changed to a new set of strings? Good to eliminate a bad or dead string from the start.

Nice score! :hyper:

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What they said^^^

And definitely a nice score!

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Nope, not on a StingRay! They're not wood screws like a Fender. Musicman has always used machine screws with brass threaded inserts in the body.

He can however take the pickup out and dab a little bit of elmers white glue into the brass threads. This will serve as a weak loctite to keep the screw from vibrating.

7. 77mmstingray

77mmstingray

Jan 29, 2012
    as far as the low g string volume...
    in a new stingray would you get a classic 2 band eq or a regular stingray 3 band eq

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The preamp (EQ) doesn't have anything to do with the volume of the individual strings.

9. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I love stingrays and music man as a company, but I've given up on them due to the low g string volume. I could not find a real solution. It's just how stingrays are voiced.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    OP: Want to trade brother-in-laws?

11. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I had that issue with some older Sterling basses years ago. I swapped the factory pickup to a Basslines Alnico and the problem went away.

12. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Amazing. For as many years (decades) that I've played my fretless Ray, I've actually never removed the pup screws... never needed to.

Thanks... learn something new every day :bassist:

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Really? Cool, never knew that. Then again, I've never taken apart my MusicMan before.

14. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was thinking the same thing! I've had my fretless Ray for almost 20 years and other MM basses for shorter periods over the years, but I've never taken any of them apart.