Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with a B string thats too short

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by emandell, Mar 21, 2002.

1. I just bought some Thomastik Powerbass 34" scale strings for my Fender Jazz V 34" scale bass and the B string is too short.

The cotton wound part of the string intrudes into the first fret by about 0.25 inch.

It seems to sound/ play ok and I've shouted at Thomastic about it but I'm worried about the life of the string and about damaging the nut (singular the bass not mine).

It does seem daft that strings dont fit something as standard as a Fender Jazz and they are (or should be) the correct strings.

I would have thought that I'd be more likey to have a problem with the G string but thats fine.

Any opinions ?

2. Is that model a string through the body? If so, that would possibly explain why the B seems short. If the silk windings are only 1/4 inch beyond the nut you shouldn't do any damage to the bass. You might need to start buying extra long scale strings to make up for the string length lost through the bass body.

3. you could be right it is a string-thru bass.
    But I've not had problems with the previous set of strings I had (Elite).

Has anyone else had similar problems ?

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Just use a razor knife to trim back the windings just enough to clear the nut. a little dab of clear nail polish will keep them from unwinding any further. I did that all the time with my G&L.

Chas

5. thanks, I'll give that a go. I quite like these strings so it'd be nice to have a solution.

It'll be interesting to see what Thomastic say about the problem, I've raised it with the supplier, who has passed it on to the importer and Thomastic, so we'll see