Problem with a Hamer bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PeterssonChick, Jan 27, 2004.

1. PeterssonChick

Jan 23, 2004
    Ok...not completely sure if this is the right place to post this, but...
    Last week I got my first 12-string bass (it's a Hamer), and up until last night it worked great. Now it's making an odd sort of stressed, clanging noise when the first note of each string is played. Open chords and any other notes are just fine, but those four notes sound just horrible.
    Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? :confused:

I'd appreciate any help :)
  2. Tell you what - pop this question over to the "Setup" forum and we'll give it a real goin' over and see what we can come up with.

Whereabouts in GA are you? I'm in Snellville and there are about 20 of us TB'ers in the area.
  3. PeterssonChick

Jan 23, 2004
    I knew I probably had this is the wrong forum...leave it to me :bag:
    I'll go post it over in the Setup forum.

I live in Lithonia, Ga. - not too terribly far from Snellville. Have you ever been to Ken Stanton? - I think it's down Hwy 78 in Snellville - I've seen it, but I've never been inside...just wondering if it's a good music store...
  4. is it fretbuzz?...your second fret could be a little high
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    What you are describing sounds like the second fret is high. You can check it by holding a straight edge across the first three frets. if the straightedge rocks on the second fret, the second fret is too high. A playing card make a good straightedge.

Harrell S.

Sorry, Swilson. we were both typing at once.:) At least we agree.
  6. Cool, I'm exactly 9 miles from you! Don't worry, I only stalk on weekends. :eek:

The other guys have your prob pegged. If you need help accomplishing the work, PM me.

Ken Stanton as a music store is about as helpful as teats on a boarhog. They cater to newbies and school instrument users. Their assembly of low end instruments isn't exciting at all. And unless you want Michael Bolton piano books, KS likely won't have much for you.

Your better bet would be to pop over to Galaxy Music on Hwy. 78 closer to Stone Mountain. Lotsa used equipment, pro audio and one of the best used selections of basses around. They're good to work with and will deal if asked. Go for it!
  7. PeterssonChick

Jan 23, 2004
    Thanks for the help, guys :)
    What I ended up doing today is going by the place I bought it at and seeing if they could fix the problem for me - I contemplated trying to do it myself but I could just picture the thing ending up in a million pieces on the floor (I'm not very handy, or completely patient either) so - it's probably better that someone else does it :oops:
    So the guy at the store is going to do a complete setup on it tomorrow and I'm gonna go watch in the hopes I can pick up some knowledge on how to take care of it the right way.

Thanks for the info on Ken Stanton - won't be going there...
    I'll have to give Gallexy Music a look - I seriously need to find a good amp at a decent price.
    Thanks again for your help :D