Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with a pickup

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Purgatory, Sep 26, 2000.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory

Sep 25, 2000
    OK I know this isn't exactly technique or theory but if someone could answer me anyway I'd appreciate it. I have an ESP LTD B-50 and the J pickup on it isn't level with the strings, it's pushed in on one side and I can't pull it out with my fingers? My amp also seems to make a bit of noise(kind of a static sound) when I'm not playing anything. This goes away when I turn the tone all the way down on my bass. I was wondering if that sound is normal(or related to the pickup? And what should I do about the pickup, I couldn't just pull it out with my fingers and I'm new to this so I don't know what to do. Any suggestions or am I just worried for nothing?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The J pickup should be screwed in and the screws mounted on springs. Sometimes the springs are missing, break or get stuck. Try unsrcewing the pickups, reset the spring and screw the pick up back down.

Asm for the noise - ususally j-pickups are single coil. Single coil pickups are prone to being noisy due to inteference. In a J-J set up you can eliminate the hum by turning both pickups full up (the act as a humbucker). If however the noise goes away when you touch a sting, the bridge, etc. than you have a bad ground somewhere and you shpuld get it fixed.

Hope this helps

Mike