1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

problem with Ableton Live

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AgIdoc, May 11, 2011.

1. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    no bass preset is loud enough. even when i turn the vol all the way up, i still have to turn the vol of every other track way down, leave the bass track vol at 10 & raise the master to hear the bass. doesn't matter which preset I use. sure I can turn the gain up...and get unwanted distortion. all of the other tracks/instruments/presets are closer to the same volume range right off the bat. anyone else have this problem and/or have a suggestion?

apologies if discussed ad nauseum. i did a search 1st but didn't find much on this specific topic. i'm a noob at recording

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Ableton has a better forum for this...

3. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    yeah i looked there too. they kind of talk over my head in a big way

4. wtnind

wtnind

Jul 11, 2009
    Couple of options:
    1. Turn your bass up before it hits Ableton (e.g. bass vol / preamp etc)
    2. Add a VST such as AmpegSVX to do cab simulation etc

Look at the size of the waveform when you zoom in on the channel, if its a shallow wave the recording itself is too quiet and you should do option 1. If it looks fine (about 1/4 of the way up and you recorded it clean then slap on a VST.

Look at all the devices (hardware and software) between your bass and your computers mastered track, try keep the volume setting the same on either side of the device or you are going to be amplifying and quietening your signal and degrading it in the process.

Put an equaliser on each channel and add an inspector that shows frequencies and adjust the equaliser so your guitar isn't stepping on the bass and the bass isn't stepping on the kick drum.

5. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    thanks so much for this reply!

"Look at the size of the waveform when you zoom in on the channel, if its a shallow wave the recording itself is too quiet and you should do option 1"

this is definitely the problem. its a tiny/puny wave. bass vol already pegged on the active jazz. I even turn the "vol" on the virtual amp to 10, not much help. i mean i'm not even close to the waves of the other instruments (that are all good waves & all about the same as each other).

I don't know how to add a VST. i'm a total noob. I'll start googling adding a VST, thanks!

"Put an equaliser on each channel and add an inspector that shows frequencies and adjust the equaliser so your guitar isn't stepping on the bass".

I don't know how to do this, either. but thank you so much for the reply...at least I have somewhere to start doing more research. googling "ableton live bass vol too low" doesn't work very well