1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with Alembic preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 2funkyfinger, Apr 10, 2010.

1. 2funkyfinger

2funkyfinger

Feb 1, 2004
    Hi

I have an Alembic Rogue 6 that I have been using for a few years. Recently, it developed a rather pronounced hissing sound when my Q knob is turn to the max. There is also an intermittent cracking sound when the bass is plugged in.

I've tried to change batteries, opened the cavity to ensure that the quick connectors are properly fastened within the preamp. Unfortunately, this problem still persists.

I've written to Alembic twice, and there has been no response from them so far. I was wondering if any one has any advice on what I can do to fix this preamp issue?

Thanks for your time!
    2.f.f.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IME it's best to contact Alembic via the telephone.

I had a noise problem with my Europa years ago. Ron was able to diagnose the problem right over the phone. I was sent a bottle of the silver conductive paint that they use for shielding. My local tech painted in the upper sides of my pickup routes with the paint, as per Ron, and the bass is now dead quiet.

You can also post your bass' noise problem on the forum at Alembic's website. Mica is very active on the forum and many of the members are very knowledeable on all things Alembic.

Best of luck, Art

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Totally agree with the "call rather than email" approach and the post to the Alembic Club approach. Mica, Susan, and Ron mean well and try to address email, but with all the Alembic Club activity as well as building instruments, a lot of email falls through the cracks. I've always been able to reach Mica by phone and get questions answered.

I'm just now starting to have a similar problem with my Series I. Had it once before, (different control that time) but I had already planned to send it back to Alembic to have the LEDs repaired, so they fixed it then. I don't intend to send it out again, so I'll also be looking for the "final" solution to this one. That or I'll take it to my friendly neighborhood luthier.

4. Might be a dirty pot. Try rotating each control through it's full range 100 times and see if that clears things up.

5. 2funkyfinger

2funkyfinger

Feb 1, 2004
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for your advice. I've not tried the alembic forum.. but I will definitely visit the forum to get some inputs and call them if necessary.

6. fdeeptone

fdeeptone

Mar 26, 2009
    Newark Ohio
    took the electronics out and had it checked for bad solders capacitors resistors ect. all checked good.
    Whenever i touch the cable going into the input jack it goes quiet.
    so it is acting like a ground issue.
    From what i understand the alembics do not have a ground to bridge. The silver paint acts the ground for all the components
    guess I better get some paint because i have tried everything else.