Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with amp crackling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Levitate, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Levitate

Levitate

Aug 25, 2003
    hey all...i have a pretty cheap amp that i've had for awhile, nothin special...but i've been having this problem with it

basically whenever i turn the volume knob, it crackles and cuts in and out...a lot of times now it's hard to get a good strong clean sound out of it, a lot of times it cuts the sound so it's not as loud

i don't think it's the speaker since i can get a clean sound out of it from time to time...the biggest thing is when i turn the volume knob

i'm wondering if it's a loose connection, etc etc...but i'm not sure

if it could possibly be something easy and inexpensive to fix, i'd rather try that instead of buying a new amp right now. i want to get a new amp but i don't exactly have the money for it at the moment...

thanks if anyone can help

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What kind of set up do you have?

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    It doesn't matter what brand you own.

You need to clean your pots.

Use Deoxit, or other pot cleaner.

[​IMG]

4. Levitate

Levitate

Aug 25, 2003
    thanks, i thought it might be something like that...either a dirty or a loose connection somewhere in the pots

i'll give it a shot and see if it works

5. guys, I got a similar question... Thanks for pointing out that crackling when you turn knobs is as simple as cleaning your pots... I own a hartke b120 combo amp, the one with 2 12's in it... There's 6 screws at the top, which allow ytou to pull the amp out, but anytime I try, the wires connecting the amp the to speakers gets caught, not CAUGHT, but it makes it so I can't pull the amp out to clean pots/replace input jacks... How do i disconnect it from under when I 1.)can't reach back there and 2.) it's not a NORMAL big speaker cable, its cheap and wicked thin. I don't know how to properly disconnect it from the amp... I dont want to have to take the whole damn cabinet apart now...

6. Either way, I just want this amp to run smoothly for use with a keyboardist... I don't use it, I got my own bass rig, so :D

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    It sounds like those wires are the standard speaker wires you find inside a cabinet. And if they aren't long enough to get the amp out, Hartke probably put the amp in before they closed the last panel on the cabinet. It might sound like a chinese puzzle box but it isn't that hard. I think you're looking at 2 choices. 1) cut the speaker wires holding the amp in and re-solder them when you're finished (I would add a longer wire length if I was doing this!~) OR 2) figure out which piece of the cabinet to remove to access both the amp and the speaker connections, and remove it. If you go with option 2 you may still have to cut or desolder the speaker wires to remove the amp. That's up to you and it depends on what would make it easier to service "next time".

Good luck!

8. Pull the speaker and un-plug the wires from the back of it. Then, take the amp out. ;)

9. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Hi Guy, I recently got a driver with "gold" push-lock connectors for the speaker wires. They rattle at high volume. I hate them. Soldering may be painful ugly and smell bad, but it doesn't rattle.

10. My suggestion was for the fella trying to remove the Hartke amp to clean his pots. If he pulls one of the speakers and un-plugs both of them (or- depending on how they're wired, just one) he should be able to pull the amp out fully.

I'll "ditto" you though on the soldering of connections within a cab. Every cab I've retro-fitted with new drivers and wiring was soldered rather then using those crappy connectors (the "crimp" kind). The last thing I want is to have to fix a loose connection when I'm playing a gig!

To the guy with the Hartke-

You could add a longer run of speaker wire (a heavier gauge like 16 or 14) and solder all of the internal connections. It would eliminate further problems of this nature down the road. You can pick up speaker wire for less then $1 a foot (approx) and a cheap solder gun for $5 at pretty much any Home Depot or electronics store such as Fryes.

11. yeah, it sounds like you can do that, but it's not that easy. The amp is connected to those speakers through the bottom side of the amp and then the wiring is "glued" to the piece of wood where the wire comes through TO the amp... I can disconnect the wires from the speakers but then I'm gonna rip the wire while pulling:spit:

I honestly don't care, but the amp does need some maintenance. I don't use it much other than for guitar and some other keyboard players... I plug into a peavey 410 and avatar 15 +harkte 3500 head, so Im not too concerned about getting this combo mainained... who cares....... lol

12. The connectors are those ****ty crimp kind... I'm REALLY not going to spend over an hour giving this POS a maintenance job... I've already got a soldering iron so its not a big deal......