Problem with amp distorting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Forcemaster, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Forcemaster

Forcemaster

Jul 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I've posted here before with problems with my amp/inability to use it and response is great, but there's one more!

I was using my amp in a room un'micd around 20 metres long and 10 metres across maybe, and I was struggiling to be heard with my GK 700 rb -II and neo 212 cab. I was getting some nasty distortion at high volumes and I can't figure out why.

My head's currently pushing 320 watts into the cab, which has 600 watts power handling, so I can't seeing it being the cabs problem, but maybe it's not pushing enough air on its own? I was using my Geddy jazz so had the 14db pad disengaged. I had to crank my woofer control to even remotely be heard!

I'm considering upgrading to the 1000 RB-II anyway, but until I know the problem I don't know wether it's a new cab, new amp or new rig all together!

Thanks in advance!

2. xCOFFMANx

xCOFFMANx

Jun 10, 2008
    I think upgrading to the bigger head would be a great idea, never can have to much power. Maybe the cab is distorting from being under powered? Just my two cents.

3. Forcemaster

Forcemaster

Jul 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Possibly, I wasn't aware that occured. Still not sure, i'll need to head somewhere and test stuff out...

4. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    my post in another thread seems applicable here:
    is the 320 watt figure what the RB-II does into 8 ohms? i have older, less powerful RB that is 380 into 4 ohms. it seems to me that what you need is another cabinet.you will gain sensitivity *and* make more power.

5. Forcemaster

Forcemaster

Jul 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah into 8 ohms, 480 into 4 ohms. Again i'm not sure what to go with upgrading/changing, the cab or amp setup. I may just do both in the end. it sounds like my problem is a combination of the two.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You are using two 12" speakers. That can only take you so far. What is your guitar player(s) using. If you are competing with 4x12 cabs you'll never win. If you like 12s get another cabinet or add a 4x10 so that you can move more air.

Paul

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Cabs don't distort from being underpowered. And a 600w cab is only going to distort when the amp distorts unless they lie about the cab's rating.

I think there's two things possibly working here...I think maybe you might need another cab, or maybe you need to EQ differently, or maybe you just need to tilt the cab back some. If you scoop out a lot of mids, you can crank and crank all day and nobody will hear you over a guitar's scooped 412.

The guitarists not turning up so loud is always an option, too...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

8. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep, proper or improper EQ can make a massive difference in how well you can hear yourself, and how well you fill a given room. I'm betting you had the lows cranked, and the master gain cranked, and that they combined to cause the amp itself (not the speakers) to distort.

First fix your EQ. Boost the mids, cut the lows, and adjust for the particular boomy or dead aspects of the specific room. If that still doesn't give you enough clean sound, then you need a more powerful amp and/or more speakers.

9. Forcemaster

Forcemaster

Jul 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    My EQ is pretty flat, with only a minor treble cut and a minor bass increase.

I'll try it again in the same room on tuesday and see what I can do.