1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with Ampeg B-100R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Aug 5, 2012.

1. I'm having some issues with my Ampeg B-100R ...distorts then cuts out completely then comes back again. Sometimes it's fine for 20 mins. then it farts out, other times it starts happening right away. I've tried different basses and cables so it's definitely the amp.
    Any suggestions as to what it could be or what I could look for to possibly fix? Thanks.

2. Alright....I've done some thread searching, like I should of in the first place.....seems several people have had this issue with this amp.
    It could be a speaker connection, bad solder, bad input jack, or a bad cone....the headphones seem to work fine so I'm guessing it's a speaker issue...I feel like I'm talking to myself.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Problem is that what you are describing could be caused by numerous things. Without being in the presence of your amplifier it's hard say what your particular issue is.

4. Pull the speaker and make sure the lug connectors are securely in place. when I bought mine new 6 or 7 years ago, it arrived dead as a door nail in it's orig. shipping box. Not a sound, hiss or pop. I called Ampeg and they gave me some direction. The spade connectors had fallen off the speaker lugs in shipping. I pulled the speaker and re-installed them. No issues again after all this time.
    Best of luck

5. Thanks for the replies....I will check it out.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    One of the easiest things you could try is unscrewing one of the rear port tubes, so you can reach inside and carefully feel for loose speaker connections. Sometimes you can even just reach in, grab the end of the port tube and slide it towards the front/out its mounting ring. Then you wouldnt even have to unscrew its mounting ring to reach inside

7. Update....I opened the front, (could not get my hand trough the port hole even when I unscrewed it). Didn't find any loose connections to the speaker...when I was screwing the speaker back on I slipped and put a small hole through the outside area of the speaker cone....this is why I should not be allowed to do ANYTHING AT ALL!
    Anyways I guess I will have to have someone qualified fix the amp.

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    We've all been there before. I killed a CTS 10" out of an otherwise still original (but worn) 1972 Ampeg 810 the day I brought it home with the grill cloth frame of all things!

9. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Oh, man, that stinks! Should be OK to use - gingerly - until you get a replacement.

I've also read a lot of bad reviews about the less expensive Ampeg stuff. And great reviews about Peavey stuff. What's this world coming to?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My less expensive Ampeg stuff works great, for the record.

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Next time the amp cuts out, plug some headphones in & out several times. If this makes the amp suddenly play fine again your headphone jack probably just need cleaning. Its got switching contacts inside that shut off the speaker.

Bummer about yer speaker, dont feel bad, lots of guys have done that.
    While turning the screwdriver with one hand, I position my other hand down by the screw, i wrap my index and thumb around to act as a guide and hold in place, and hold my other 3 fingers to act as a wall between the screw and speaker. A small dab of clear silicone sealer might hold up as a repair.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Anderbass is right...a little dab of something like silicone sealer or rubber cement should seal up a small hole in the cone...no need to have it reconed.