Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with ampeg svt-350t

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xakman, Feb 28, 2003.

1. xakman

xakman Guest

Sep 13, 2002
    Alabama USA
    I bought this combo off ebay and received it yesterday. I plugged into it to try it out for a little while. After using it at about ¾ volume for five minutes, I heard some static and the volume cut down drastically. I continued to play hoping it would fix itself and it did I thought. I was playing it today and it would cut out to a low volume about every 15 minutes. It works most of the time and I don’t want to spend another 80 bucks to send it back. I would like to just fix it. If ya’ll could help me get idea of what is going on it would help a lot to determine whether I could fix it or have to take it to get fixed.

Thanx for you help,
    xakman

2. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Does the amp have more than one 1/4" input for your bass?? If so, try plugging into the other jack.

If the problem is still present, I would then look into the pots and / or cold / cracked joints that might be shorting... dividing and eliminating the variables, move on to pre-amp tube/s.

From here, you may be looking at a trip to a service center for diagnosis and a stress test... likely to be a minimum of $45 for the benching, plus parts.

michael s.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I would email the person you bought the amp from and tell them it was received damaged. They might want to split the cost of a repair unless they want negative feedback.:spit:

4. frosty

frosty

Feb 18, 2003
    Southern USA
    If you have to have it repaired, I'd strongly recom-
    mend sending it back to SLM. They have flat rates
    and considering expertise, bench rates, etc it only makes sense. I got an SVT3-PRO serviced nicely and returned in about 2-3 weeks. Call them first
    and ask to speak to a tech about your problem.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Frosty has a great idea...call SLM and talk to a tech.

I seem to recall that Ampeg input jacks are problematic...perhaps it's something as cheap as that.

And let the seller know...they should be willing to help you out if they clearly stated that the amp has no problems.

Good luck!!!