Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with an Eden 212 horn

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danman, Sep 15, 2005.

1. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Here's the deal.
    All I get out of the horn is a hiss noise. Louder than normal.
    There is no musical sound coming out of it when I play.
    When I fully attenuate the horn there is no hiss. When I turn the horn up there is lots of hiss.
    It is an eden 212XLT.

Do you think that this problem may be in the crosover network or is the tweeter blown.

If its just the crosover I will just bypass it and biamp the cab with my GK. (Kinda wanted to do that anyway)

Thanks for your insight.

danman

2. I wonder if it has anything to do with the cable and amp settings. If you are using a speakon connection to the amp and converting it to 1/4 inch in the cab or what? It sounds like a miswiring/connection type thing more than a blown tweeter or crossover. are you in biamp mode?

3. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am using the full range 1/4" cable to the cabinet.
    I have always used this connection and have just started to have the probolem. The issue is not in the wiring.

danman

4. I use a D210XST8 and we probably have the same horn. Mine will hiss, but I've always attributed that to too much high-end boost and noise from the amp. I merely rool off the attenuator for a middle-ground compromise and watch the level of high EQ I'm generating.

I'm understanding that this is really just a hiss, and not a crackling/popping, right?

Tom

5. have you had a chance to try and isolate it to the speaker vs the amp? Try the head with another speaker / try the speaker with another amp. If it is the speaker there may be something going on with the crossover.

6. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just got off of the phone with Eden.

They said that if the limiter bulb is busted the horn will make white noise with no musical output.

Looks like we may have located the problem. I will keep you all posted.

danman

7. uhmm humm just like I said :D

8. Definitely, let me know how easy it was to find the bulb and replace it.

9. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Total nonsense, the bulb is in series with the tweeter. no bulb = no tweetrer.
    if there's hiss in the tweeter there is hiss coming from amp or bass or effects. Tghe cabinet cannot generate hiss by itself.

10. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    When the tweeter worked there was no white noise.
    Now there is. We will see when I get to replacing this thing.

Will keep you posted.

danman

11. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Fixed the white noise and broken tweeter with a new bulb!!

Kudos to the guys at eden for nailing the problem on the first try.

danman