Problem with Ashdown Mag300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cougar207, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I went to my bands practice place today to jam with my drummer and I turned on my amp and the light on the vu meter did not light up. I plugged in and played through it and it was a lot quieter than normal (loud when up all the way, but about half as loud as it should be). I took it apart and don't see any problems other than maybe a little corosion on the ground to chassis connection from the power wire. There were no burnt caps or solder joints.

It worked great the last time I played through it (last week) and it sat our cold practce place plugged into a Furman power conditioner (which was off). Any ideas? Might be a good time to get the Mesa M-2000 I've been gassing for. :D

2. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Cant help but my MAG 307 C-115 has just sarted to distort on the output stage when ever i turn it up to halfway or above.
    so i took advantage of the situation and got a ABM head and im just going to use the MAG as a speaker untill i get it fixed.
    could be that the 2 problems are connected.
    Im taking mine in to the Bass centre over christmas for repair and then ill sell it. Maybe it is the cold as you suggest
    let me know if you come up with anything

3. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    i had a similar problem with my MAG 300 after only having it for half a year, but i gave up on it and just recently upgraded to an Eden. I contacted the store where I bought it from twice and they never replied back to me ( :scowl: ).
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Mine starts smelling funny after long use on high volume (without clipping). I always get scared and lower the input knob so the VU meter needle stays on the left. It also gets hot when it "smells like burining", I think the fan isn't good enough for the amp.
  5. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    I had the same problem with an Ashdown 15 combo. The output was very low, it came with a two prong cord, and it blew out on me in a week. The Chinese made Ashdowns aren't made like the British ones. :meh:
  6. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    There is a 2 year limited warrenty on them. I bought mine from Dave at Avatar speakers and he helped me out the first time this amp died (IC board shorted out). I'm going to give him a call and see what can be done. Last time I sent it to the east coast and had it repaired, but the parts come from England so it took about 6 weeks to get it back.

7. Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Mar 20, 2005
    I have a Dead MAG 400 on the way, i will be working on some "Fixes" for these amps. The design isnt that great, but it is based on a solid model. so there is much room for improvment.

In the mean time. i buy dead ashdowns (or just about any amp)
  8. Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Mar 20, 2005
    The Dead Mag 400 arrived today. first thing. the heatsink is WAY too small even with dual fans for a 200-400 watt bass amp!!! this thing will definitly die if pushed hard for long periods of time at 4 ohms. Not much i can do to fix that, but i will see what i can figure out.

Power supply capacitors are way too small. and i mean WAY too small. that i can creat a mod for.

Signal wires are ziptied to the AC transformer wires!!! this sucker must have horrible hum!!! again and EZ fix.

Not much shielding in this thing.

Gain and master volume pots not mounted solidly, they bend very easily.

odd and expensive most fet parts in the output stage. cant use standard off the shelf parts to replace.

Circuit board traces are thin and problematic.

Good points. Lots of room in the chassis for mods. lots of fuses, i mean everything is fused! 5 damn fuses in this thing! nice big Toriod transformer.

This is definitly what i would call a boutique amp. best suited to light jazz bands and studio use. i would NOT equip a Heavy Metal band with one of these or push its limits with large 4 ohm cabs!

This is my first ashdown in the shop and so far....well i hope the other models are built more solidly.

Nothing beats an Ampeg for there tank like quality, but Edens come close. (and sound better)