Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with B string.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MatthewForshaw, Jan 7, 2003.

1. MatthewForshaw

MatthewForshaw

Jan 7, 2003
    I've just bought a 5-string Ibanez GSR-205 and i'm getting a strange sound from my low B string. I think is probably fretbuzz but im new to basses and i dont know how this can be corrected. Could anyone please guide me. I think the fretbuzz is on 1st fret.

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Matthew, if you bought the bass locally, the store that you bought it from will probably correct the problem under warrantee. It sounds like the truss rod may need a slight adjustment.

If you bought the bass mailorder it would be simpler to make the adjustment yourself rather than shipping it back.

Before you do anything to the bass, make CERTAIN that you have it tuned to standard pitch. If its tuned too low the string(s) might tend to buzz at the first fret.

If you are not using an electronic tuner I would suggest that you get one. They are pretty cheap. Accurately tuning a bass is not the easiest thing to learn but it will come easier the more you do it.

Please fill in your profile so we know who we are talking to. :)

BTW, welcome to TB. As a new player, I'm sure you'll find the board helpful.

Pkr2

3. MatthewForshaw

MatthewForshaw

Jan 7, 2003
    Thanks. I'll phone the shop tomorrow. I'll get my profile filled now.