Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem With Being Defamed On Other Bass Forum

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jgbass, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I am not going to name names here, even though my name is being spread all over this other forum, but I am wondering how one protects themselves from defamatory comments, cruel and untrue character descriptions, etc. Some of the poison being flung my way includes a misperception that I am "emailing people on this and other forums with some slanderous email." The person who owns this forum is also the moderator and thus has complete control over the content of the forum. Despite contacting this individual, they refuse to remove this content and have not sent requested examples of "slanderous" (wrong term here, yes) e-mails.

I am a professional person and I know very well what constitutes defamation and know none of that is truly going on here on my behalf. Other labels applied to me include "looney-tunes", "stalker", "sad-soul" and "bent on doing bad things" and these things are, obviously, outright defamation, especially since it is being published to an audience.

I have filed several Abuse Report to the IP, but they can't move forward until I take legal action. I'm a busy person, my music has really been taking off recently, and I don't want to spend my time on this endeavor, however, I'm afraid I will need to.

I think it is pathetic that other individuals, who can't respond to another's kind request to resolve conflict would resort to this. I think it will really hurt this person's forum membership anyway. Does anyone have any experience with doing something about this. Thank you.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    What kind of forum is it, and what is your purpose there? I ask because you have to look at whether it's something that will effect you, or if it's something you can walk away from. If the postings are effecting your professional life, then you probaly have grounds for slander/libel. If not, it's probaly just something you want to walk away from. Going to court is expensive in both time and money, and if it's just a normal flame war on a forum, I wouldn't bother with it. I've been on some forums that started to irk me, and the best thing to do is just leave. There's no need getting upset over something someone writes on the net. But like I said, if the flames are effecting your professional life (for instance, if this is on a local music board, and it can effect you getting gigs), then I would take some sort of action.

3. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    It is another forum in the music realm, and my purpose has been to gather much information that has helped me musically. I have have a great deal of respect for the owner of this forum who has helped me immensely in my getting as far as I have with my music endeavors. It is unclear whether things are damaging at this time.

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    "bent on doing bad things"

that made us giggle :p

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd say you'd be doing yourself a favor by keeping it to yourself. trust me, i know who you are talking about and i know what you are talking about, and you are blowing it out of proportion bigtime. the internet is a huge place, and this particular little tract of cyberspace that you are talking about is not very ... consequential. you're certainly doing yourself no favors by bringing it up here. folks who get interested in this will pursue it, find out about it and get involved over there, possibly in a way that you would not like, which certainly wouldn't help your case at this other site.

besides, there's no such thing as bad press. prove people wrong by your actions and by your accomplishments. if this is really a misunderstanding, folks will see it for that and move on, and if they don't they're probably not worth your time or concern anyway.

i used to be featured on a website making fun of my bass guitars and my haircut (bunnybass.com)(not to mention the size of my manhood based on my instrument choice), where folks could annonymously cut me up and i couldn't really do much about it. i turned it around into an excellent opportunity for positive press for me, which still benefits me to this day - i have had folks come up to me at namm shows and mention the site in question (the old bunny bass site) and say that they found my band's website and listened to our music (and bought our cds) based on that.

lemons =>lemonade. :)

good luck.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Then don't worry about it bro. You'll find out who your friends are in that forum now.

No, you don't have to deal with it. Move on. It obviously is not hurting your career. Forget about it. It's a freakin' internet forum.

-Mike

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Agree with everything thats been said here.

Unless you have actually suffered quantifiable damage (ie economic loss / psychological damage / reputation etc), then it is almost *never* worth pursing legal remedies. However, if you did, your first step in such a matter would be to obtain an injunction against the forum "host" to prevent them from publishing the defamatory material on their site. After that you can then pursue those who you have alleged have defamed you.

Roughly two or three years later, you may see some money if you are able to adequately convince a judge as to your loss. You may convince a jury, but from what I gather, most large jury payouts in the US are reversed on appeal.

You would be much better off just ignoring it and moving to another forum / site. There is no point in exascerbating a situation with threats of legal action if you are not prepared to follow them through.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Welcome to Talkbass, that kind of stuff doesn't happen here.

I have read other forums (Primus Bull Board, Carl Thompson Forum) and they are filled with ignorant closeminded people who like to curse a lot, not so here at TB. Cursing not allowed and the ignorant ones are few and far between.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I think John's advice is good.

Also, if it's a place you are getting mixed up with and these things are happening I would just keep my mouth shut more on the boards. I know it's advice I should follow sometimes.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You aren't going to gain anything with any legal action, which would probably get thrown out of court any way. My advice is to suck it up. Mis-understandings are a part of human nature, and you can't possibly begin to alter that in any way, regardless of legal hijinks. You won't gain any respect by fighting anyhow; any cursory look at world history will tell you that. Fighting won't earn you respect - endurance will.

If you are getting this upset about this to the point of contemplating taking action, then it seems you need to seriously re-evaluate how tender your feelings are. Develop a thicker skin, and don't be such a baby! <== See? Start practicing your new "I don't care what you think" attitude on that one! :smug:

11. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Hey thanks folks. Just needed to hear all of this.

When it comes down to it, I have my share of friends at that forum anyway and that's what important and they've formed their own opinions that would never even be affected by the stuff over there. You find out who your friends are at times like these. They see it for what it is. It won't even be that important in a few weeks anyway.

As I said before, I've got too many good things going on to even give this more attention than it needs to be given.

Furthermore, in case this was not clear, my only intention here re: legal action has been to get the defamatory stuff removed from that forum. Period. If it stays there, I tend to things it says more about the person posting it than the recipient of the message.

12. let your playing do the talking mate. It is a shame people sometimes keep going on and on and "cross the line " so to speak.

13. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    One of my co-workers has this poster in her little closet of an office that reads something like "What you think of yourself is more important than what others think of you." It has a picture of this cat looking into a mirror and in the mirror is a lion. Corny as could be. I know, but it makes me think. :D

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    closed on request of thread starter. thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.