problem with buzzing frets (relief i think)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bodom_bass398, Jan 7, 2004.

1. bodom_bass398

Dec 8, 2002
    nj usa
    first off id like to apologize if this question was already asked, but i searched and didn't find much help.

the problem is that i get really bad buzzing in some spots of my bass. its not that bad and usually i can play around it but im starting to get more serious with my playing and i want to fix it. biggest problem is my g string. the problem is it doesnt play a g. the string is literally so close to the fretboard that i cant play an open g at all. the next problem is the 10th fret area on the a string (another g hmmm). it also buzzes up on the first fret of all the strings. i figure the truss rod needs adjustment but i dont really wanna mess around too much cuz i dont wanna completely ruin my bass. how would u go about fixing this. just tighten or loosen the tuss rod?

also i heard that if u keep your bass propped up that it can warp the neck. which is probably my problem if its true cuz i keep my bass leaning against my desk.

thanks for any help you can give me.
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It very well could be a relief prob. The good part is that you don't have to guess. Relief measurement is extremely simple and should always be done BEFORE the truss rod is adjusted. Don't want to go fixing something untill you know it's broken. :)

There have been literally thousands of descriptions on the mechanics of measuring relief so I wont re-invent the wheel. Just do a simple search using the key words "relief measure".

A much less intrusive adjustment would be to raise the bridge saddles. This "may" correct the prob but if it doesn't, it's much easier to put back where you started from.

There are some good bass sites that cover the basics of setup pretty well. Treena Foster has posted some good sites in other threads. A quick search will turn them up.

If, after reading a bit you still have specific questions, I'm sure someone here will be glad to help.