Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with cakewalk

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Yvon, Jan 20, 2001.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi guys, I use cakewalk 8.0, when i record a audio track with it, my midi and my audio record together on the track. I try to seperate them with my mixer by panning the left and right and it didn't work. I know where is the problem...but I don't remember how to fix it. The problem is in windows, when I press on the windows volume control and then I go in options, properties and recording, I have 3 things i can check.

CD/AUX
    MIC/LINE
    MIXED INPUT

I try every combination there and it didn't seem to work again, someone know the right combination?
    or what else could be the problem?

but the last time the problem was in the volume control...but i formated my computer and forget to look how it was placed.

Thank you

2. The panning problems sound peculiar, are you sure you can put a left and right pan on one track? Why have you decided to not put each input on its own track?

In any case here are my default settings that might help a little.
    Synthesizer
    Microphone
    CD Audio

This machine isn't rigged with the recording software but that's the windows default.

Try asking over here if no one can help at TB:
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/index.php

BTW how pleased are you with the Cakewalk software? what do you mostly do with it?

[Edited by blipndub on 01-23-2001 at 04:01 PM]

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    thank you for the link, I still have no idea what the problem is. When i play, I hear my bass on the computer channel. So the sound come back all the time, and I don't know why.

I record mostly myself with cakewalk, my computer is not very good, so i can't record a whole band. But it sound good, I have a relatively good sound card. It's enough for my purpose. Sometimes I record scale to see how I sound like, Other time I will record myself with a midi file, or a band in box song, so i can hear myself walking over standard and things like that.
    My voicing is not really good, so it help me to listen to what I play.

4. What do you mean

"When i play, I hear my bass on the computer channel. So the sound come back all the time"

Do you mean that there is always a signal going in?

5. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    i often use the cakewalk for recording my stuff, and i've conected my bass directly to the computer and from a mixing table to the computer and never had any kind of problem.

so i don't know too if you can separate in one track the midi line and the audio line, try to separate them into two diferent tracks and then mix them. if you have the same problem, check all the pan controls of the windows (recording, etc..)