1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with Carvin MB10-Anybody had this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by k31bassman, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. k31bassman

k31bassman Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Nebraska
    I have a Carvin MB10 combo amp. It's about 3-4 years old, I bought it new. It intermittently makes a "scratching" sound even when turned down and no input. It will also sound very "buzzy" (distorted), like an overdrive pedal. This has come and gone, usually with many days or weeks between episodes, although today it's constant. I opened it up and did the "unplug and use contact cleaner on the connectors," but there was no improvement.

I actually sent the amp section in to Carvin when it was still under warranty and they couldn't find a problem or experience the issue while it was on the test bench. Of course, it's now out of warranty.

Any ideas?

TIA

2. Could it be some form of external interference or noise getting in?
    Might explain the intermittant nature of it and why Carvin didn't experience a problem.
    Start unplugging other stuff in your house. The closer to the amp, the more suspect.
    Just do one thing at a time and see if you notice a difference.
    Leave no stone unturned. Suspect anything that uses batteries, or plugs into the wall.
    And don't just turn things off. You have to pull the power from the wall.

3. k31bassman

k31bassman Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Nebraska
    I'll try that, but it has done the "scratchy" sound at other locations on occasion.

4. OK. Just one step in the process of elimination. I got nothin else at this point. Good Luck with getting it figured out.

5. If the amp has an Effects Loop try linking the Send and return with a signal cable. It’s surprising just how many amps this little trick has saved. :)