Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with de-tuning from B to A...!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassisten, Feb 28, 2005.

1. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi guys!

Just bought a Hipshot Bass Xtender and have encountered a problem.

I use it on my 6-string Celinder bass to drop-tune my B-string to the low A. But, it seems like my string doesn't have enough tension to pull the lever back to the A.

Everyhitng is installed properly, no doubt. Is there anyone in here who drops to A and have encountered the same issue?

Heeeelp... :crying:

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've known a couple of guys who had this exact problem. I personally have never used my Extender to drop lower than D to C...if I remember correctly I always heard that Hipshot said the reduction in string tension was in fact the reason it wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure that's why they only advertise it being able to go as low as a C.

3. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi Razor!

Well, as I said, I'm dropping my B-STRING (from B to A) so it should work.
    I just got an e-mail from Hipshot and they told me that it should work alright.

It might be an issue of a too tight screw in the Xtender.

4. Hipshot has some literature on their website for proper setup of their Xtenders. Make sure that you've followed these things closely....If you're still having problems, contact Hipshot. If you STILL can't get it to work...put the old tuner back and return the merchandise.

5. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi Pilbara!

Well, I'm not a newbie in setup of basses or simple mechanics like the Bass Xtender.

I have read the installation guide and tuned it exactly so that it's in tune. I repeat, there's nothing wrong with the installation.

And yes, I have got an e-mail from Hipshot, they told me to lube it again and see what happens then. The problem is that the GB7-model features closed mechanics, unlike the Fender etc. ones and that it therefor is harder to lube.