1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

problem with Demeter HBP-1 or Valenti Bass not sure , need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedroims, Apr 19, 2009.

1. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I just got a HBP-1 but something is wrong , I am getting a weird noise ( its not hum or hiss) is like, brrrrrrrrrr, and it can be pretty loud, the thing is that I dont get the noise every time I use my rig, somedays is quiet as expected, I noticed that the noise can increase or decrease depending on the position of my bass, I am playing a Valenti with nordies hum cancel and Sadowsky pre amp, I put new battery on it, but still getting the noise. I dont remember have had this noise with my prior pre amp ( Navigator).

The chain is:

Bass
    Preamp
    Compressor on the loop ( Rane dc24)
    Power ( QSC)
    Cabs

Noise exists either with the compressor on or not.

I wrote a note to Demeter but have not heard back.

Any guide light will be appreciated

2. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Are you playing in the same room? Are you using all the same cables as before?

Try using a "cheater plug" between your power cord and the outlet. This eliminates the ground leg from the cord, and will help determine if it's a grounding issue.

You might also try replacing the tube in the preamp.

Good luck

jd

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Yes I am playing in the same room, cables are the same, I just replaced my navigator for the demeter, the rig is conected to a power conditioner > power strip.

Maybe is the power conditioner. I already ordered a new tube.

4. Dbass10

Dbass10

Oct 26, 2007
    Atlanta
    When you say depending on the position of your bass what do you mean exactly? Also do you have anything like a computer or appliance on the same circuit that your amp is connnected to? Some preamps can be very sensitive to electrical noise generated by other appliances.

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I only have my rig connected to the power strip>outlet

There is another outlet where I have my wireless.

The noise change depends on where my bass is in my room, I can move to the left, right, front, back , and the noise will change intensity.

The problem is when I plug the strings, sometimes the noise is louder than the note, its freaking me out, even my wife can notice the noise.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    man,

could be any number of things. best to literally just start w/ the bass going straight into the pre. then slowly add one piece of gear at a time to see which is the culprit.

if the noise persists, it could be a microphonic tube in the preamp. or a dying battery in your bass, which you can check by simply plugging the bass into another amp you have handy, and see if the noise happens there. heck, it could be crappy wiring in your house.

have you tried not using the power conditioner and going straight into the wall outlet?

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    the only thing I havent try is plug the pre directly into the outlet, I will try it today

8. I think you already have the answer-if you change positions and the noise changes, it's coming from the bass. Does it go away if you turn the volume on the bass off? If so, there you go.