Problem with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RAM, Jun 8, 2001.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry guys, I contemplated putting this in one of the existing threads, but this really is a new issue, at least to me...

Anyway, here goes: the recent setup and installation of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups has left me with a problem: the D string has a little less output than the others, and the G string has a little more output than the others. Anybody else experience this?

It should be noted that, as I understand it, the pickups do NOT have adjustable pole pieces. Also, I can't play around too much with string height, because if the D gets any closer to the pickup, it'll just choke the note. It was professionally set up.
  2. Hunh. The D and G strings share a coil on DiMarzio Jazz pickups (I used to have Model Js on my old MIM J), so their output should be more-or-less even--if the string set is calibrated for even output. What brand and gauge are you using?
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    DR Highbeams.

I understand exactly what you're saying about the two strings sharing a coil. That's why I was puzzled, given the professional setup! :eek:
  4. this might sound rather obvious, but how high are your pu's from the body when i had the ultras on my old j i had them setup so that the neck pu was higher towards the bass side, the E & A, while the rear was opposed, towards the treble,

this was perfect and extreamly even

those pu's are excellent, but they only shine when everythings perfect, if something goes wrong, you notice it,

have you sheilded everything??, i got mine sheilded by the guy who built my new bass, and it was sweet, it's worth it. the interference was terrible before, that, he used paint and it did the trick, except if you stood directly under strip lighting.

anyway look at pickup height rather than string height, theres no point having a ****ty action just for the sake of tone.
  5. My experience with the Ultrajazz is very similar to Tyburn's.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the string? well, it IS possible, and so I am suggesting it! Hope you solve the prob.