Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with DR Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BigDaddyB, Apr 2, 2003.

1. BigDaddyB

BigDaddyB

Feb 27, 2003
    West Monroe, LA
    Endorsing Artist Regenerate Guitar Works and Honey Badger Pickups
    I've had the same problem with DR Hi Beam tapers on two basses now (Smith BSR5PE and MTD 535). I'd like to see if anyone else has had this problem.

When playing the strings above the 12th fret, the overtones sound out of tune with the fundamental. This gets worse as you ascend toward the highest note on the string. It starts to get really bad around the 20th fret.

Both basses were checked for intonation. The MTD was checked using a tuner with the Buzz Feiten systems.

Anyone else had this problem?

BigDaddyB

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Yes, not with DR taperwounds though. I experienced this with several different sets of Dean Markley SR2000 taperwounds in the "Will Lee" gauge. I'm of a different belief than most people when it comes to taperwound strings. I don't think it is possible to intonate them properly at all because of the different mass per length of the strings. By the way, I had this same problem with Labella Super Steps and the now defunct Trace Elliott strings too.

3. BigDaddyB

BigDaddyB

Feb 27, 2003
    West Monroe, LA
    Interesting. I used the Trace Elliot and LaBella Super Steps and never had these problems.

It's so bad that it's next to impossible to play above fret 14.

4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Hey BigDaddyB, have you ever used the standard Hi-Beams or Lo-Riders?

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Funny you should mention this. I have the same problem. I have intonated the bass very carefully, and the problem is still there. I will not buy a Tapered DR set again. Contact DR, they may not be able solve the problem, but I bet thay will send you a different non-tapered set to make up for the wasted set you bought.

my post with the problem

6. BigDaddyB

BigDaddyB

Feb 27, 2003
    West Monroe, LA
    It's odd that you mention DR support.

I've contacted them, as has a friend of mine who has the same problem. No such offer's have been made. In fact, other than "we've never heard of that before", I've gotten no real response at all.

I used DR about 7 years ago, until their quality control fell off. I guess I'll be leaving them for good this time. It's too bad really. Their strings sound and play great. They just can't seem to get these issues under control.

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Strange, I just mentioned that there was a problem, and they fedExed me out a new new set (of the same kind, with the same problem). Try contacting them, and send them this linkif they say they've never heard of the problem before.

Mark

8. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I've had two defective strings from DR in the past 3 years. Both of which were Stainless Steel Lo-Rider E strings. I contacted the company via e-mail the first time and was promptly sent a replacement SET of strings. The second time I contacted them by e-mail and I didn't get a response. Finally after much frustration I got a response and a replacement set was sent again. The DR rep suggested that I call them if there is a problem in the future. I personally feel that DR makes some of the finest strings around. I've used several sets of Lo-Riders, Hi-Beams, and Fat Beams and have only encounterd these two problems... both of which were handled eventually. Why not call them and see if they are willing to help?

9. I see no use for taperwounds of any brand.

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've never liked taper wounds either. I also had problems with DR Hi Beams. My problem with them was that sometimes one or two strings sounded dead right out of the package. I'm now using the Fat Beams. No problems so far. And they are way more to my liking than the Hi Beams were