1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with DVD player

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Mar 31, 2006.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I recently purchase a new DVD that came with a high definition DVD that I tried to play in my DVD player. It came up as an error in reading the disc, and now my player won't play regular DVDs properly. It will play the audio but there is no video to be seen! Anybody here experienced a similar problem, and is there any way to fix this? Thanks!

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Hmm....well, I can tell you what you already know: the High-def dvd's (afaik) are intended for the new dvd players that will come out soon, and will cost a lot. I think they use "blue ray" technology, but whatever the case, they won't work on regular dvd players. What I'm wondering is if attempting to play it in your player has somehow damaged the laser.

So, I haven't helped you at all: good luck!

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I doubt that the disc damaged the laser.

If you can, find out what brand and model it is. Some have really good online support, and some have support communities where members share solutions to problems, performance and usage hints, etc. For example, I have a couple Philips DVD players. Thanks to probing around online, I was able to upgrade the firmware in the older one with downloads from the Philips support Web site. And on another Web site I found the simple instructions for making the players region-free, meaning they can play back DVDs of any region.

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    You know what? Ignore everything I wrote above...I did a bit of reading at other sites, and learned that I do truly know nothing about HD dvds and players :meh: .

Still, all I can think of is that perhaps your dvd player may have a master reset that will get the video component working again.

If you want to find out what may have happened, you might want to try here: http://www.highdefforum.com .

I think Mr. Lee's advice is great: check out online discussions/groups for advice on your particular player to see what you can do about it.