1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with E string buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ysand, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Ok, here's the deal in a short version:

Spector Zebop 5 string.
    E string 2 to 6 fret (especially 3rd) buzz after plucking a long note.
    Tried truss rod and action adjustments for quite some time but it doesn't seem to fix, only with rather high (for me) action.
    The strange thing is, that qhile the B string has no prob at all, it happens on the E only!
    Can you please suggest me some solutions?

2. How high is your B string from the fretboard at the 12th fret, try to match the height of your E to that of the B via the bridge not the truss rod and see if that relieves the buzz.

3. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    The E string is slightly higher than the B to match the curve of the fretboard.

4. No, but measure it in millimeters at the 12th fret for both, from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string on both the B and the E

5. I usually find that with a half decent fret job, on the E a good 2-3mm of clearance at the 12th fret usually relieves all buzzing, and an ID cards worth of relief at the 8th fret while holding down the firsts and the last fret with some capos.

6. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If all the above doesn't cut it, a fret leveling might be in order if it's really bothering you.

Take it to an experienced luthier for that.

7. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I always held down the 1st and 15th frets while I checked the 8th fret....interesting. I'm going to try this now and see what the clearance is.

8. Really, hhmmmm most set up guides ive read including the Warwick manuals claim to hold down at the 1st and last fret, also states that clearance should ideally not be over 1mm when held down.

9. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Honestly, I've always set up my basses by feel but I'm going to try this.

See, I learn something all the time here on TB.

10. Feel is always best man, I just use measurements as a starting point and then check the "feel", but sometimes they're way off depending on the specific bass i have my clammy hands working on.

11. Lol, I just found another online guide that states the 12th and the 1st, its getting a tad confusing now, but I think ill stick with my original method.

12. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Thanx guys for the recommendations, i'll try a bit more and if nothing happens, i'll take it to an experienced pro.