Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with Eden WT-330 and Avatar B212!! - Loose/Muddy Bottom End ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Oct 24, 2005.

1. I just got this new rig and have been messing around with it from a couple days now. I had a GK400RB-IV and Avatar B210 Kappa Pro. The very day I received the New Rig (Eden & B212) is the day I sent back the old rig (GK and B210)... so I had no way of trying different head/cabinet configurations to diagnose the, what I hear as a problem.

Overall, the bottom end is too mushy! Not a whole lot of definition on the bottom end. The Eden is 10 TIMES warmer then the GK which I do like a lot, but is it so warm that it has a loss of definition? Or do you think its the Avatar B212?

Anyways, what do you think I can do to tighten up my bottom end? The Eden head already has a great compressor on it and I'm using it, but the bottom end is still a little loose!

I threw on a set of Stainless Strings as I know they are more punchy then nickel (what I've been using) and I'm still not quit there though.

Next I'm thinking about swapping out the stock Fender bridge to a Hipshot Style B bridge (higher mass) = tighter attack/more focused sound, right?

Any suggestions as to what I can do besides this.... ? Is there something wrong with my stuff?

2. Every amp and cab combination sounds different. It would not surprise me that you are hearing a very different low end with 12's and an Eden vs. 10's and the GK. It sounds like you prefer the tighter low end of a cab with 10's (at least, in general). I would not go changing bridges, etc... that would have minimal effect anyway.

Why did you change rigs? If it was a pure volume thing, it sounds like maybe you needed more 10's vs. the 12's. I also find most 2-12 cabs a little sluggish in the low end for my personal taste. However, usually turning down the enhance control on the Eden amps will tighten things up a little bit. Unfortunately, the particular Eden head you have doesn't have the lower mid and mid control of the WT line, but with a combination of the enhance, bass and the mid control on that amp, you should be able to tighten it up a little bit.

Good Luck.

3. I went w/ the 12's so I could get a deeper bottom end. The 10's just weren't deep enough for me. I also went w/ the Eden because the GK wasn't warm enought. Any other Avatar B212 Delta owners out there ? Would you describe the B212 as muddy in the low end department?

4. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    I sold my Avatar B212 Delta because I found it to be shrill on the top end; I was using it as a rehearsal rig but I am spoiled by my Bergantinos and Acmes... I used the Avatar with the Eden WT-330.

I never had a real problem with low-end. That leads me to believe it may be your EQ settings or your bass or your room or...

KJung is absolutely correct regarding the Eden's "enhance" control. Turn is fully off (all the way counter-clockwise) and adjust from there.

5. Very different preamp... no tube, etc., but still a very nice 'Eden-ish' sounding amp.

6. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Sutures? :D

Seriously, I own the Avatar B212 Neo powered by the Ashdown MAG300, and I have not experienced any of the same problems. The low end, while not the same as a 15", still has great definition, and I don't need to go "5-string" low as I play 4-string exclusively.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. It could be the Neo speakers vs. your Deltas (or whatever yours has in it), or something with the amp.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    How are you setting your Eden? The enhance control makes a BIG difference.

8. I have everything set flat, Bass/treb/Mid ect.. and I tweek the enhance control alot, but it seems that no matter where I dial it in at, its still very boomy.

I'm thinking its just the room's acoustics.

i have the Rig set up in a corner. Should i get it away from the corner for less boom?

perhaps up against 1 wall, or a couple feet away from the wall?

I'm not too knowledgeable w/ room acoustics.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Sitting in a corner makes your low end WAY boomier. Try moving it to some different locations.

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Have you tried rolling off the bass on your amp? I know that sounds a little silly but I've found many bass players simply refuse to turn down the bass knob. Try enhance all the way left, bass around 10 o'clock and turn the mid and treble up to taste.

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

+1

12. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

You could try a set of casters under that cab (if you have'nt already), get it up off the floor. Helps with mobility issues too.

13. WOW how much that made a diffrence!!!! Way too much boom in that corner. I took it away from the corner and put against one wall, about 1 foot and 1/2 away and its so much clearer!!!

thanks too all!