Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with EQing

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I have a problem... you know those eq meters that dance when a song is playing in winamp or on a stereo, etc? Well why is it that when I make a song (see sig) this thing barely moves? I mean, I EQ it to a point where it sounds OK, but... it still is weak in comparision with other songs. Is this just because I'm doing this on my computer or what? Any advice is appreciated.

2. A couple of questions to answer first.... ;)

Did you record straight into the computer aka Mixer/DI into comp? If so, make sure you have your fader(s) set at 0db on the mixer, if they are all over the place then your signal level is wrong, adjust this using the gain knob on the mixer to even it out. Using a computer program like Cakewalk bring up the mixer in the program and adjust your record volume levels until the meters in cakewalk are at the top of the green.

What program are you using to record? Cakewalk is ok. If you're using that, Select the wave form and run Normalize. Then EQ it. If its still too low, select the wave form and Boost it by 3db until you get the level you want. If you're using Cubase however, turn your record level up in the Volume Control panel (the windows one, near the clock) and let Cubase do the rest. It'll record it then you can turn up each track accordingly.

:D:D

Merls

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    First of all, you da man Merls. Second of all, when you open it up in a program like goldwave or something, it's completely normalized. I record in Cool Edit Pro. Most of the stuff is direct, or using an amp as a pre-amp. But that's the thing I don't understand, the wav is all maxed out/normalized and it just doesn't kick. Errr... I hate how I know stuff, but I don't know the "official" way to say it. So I sound like an idiot...

as always.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It has to do with dynamics. Winamp's spectroscope has a rather low sensitivity, I would think it doesn't react until the audio reaches -12 or so dB (just a wild guess there)? Meaning, that if the average level of your audio file isn't higher than that, the window won't react much. If you have some wild (unintentional?) dynamics in your wave, say you have a single transient that peaks at 0 dBFS when the wave is normalized, the rest of the file can still be rather "quiet" in comparison.

To remedy this, use a limiter to "cut off" the peaks BEFORE normalizing. Or, you could use a loudness maximizing tool (such as the ever so popular Waves L1).

5. How are you EQ'ing it before you export it? If you bring up a Graphic EQ or say the Parametric EQ in Cool Edit Pro, boost certain frequencies and cut others.

I found a lumpy 'M' type shape on the graphic EQ to be okay. Boost a few lows and mids, say 80Hz, 400Hz, cut 800Hz, dip 1kHz, boost 3Khz, and up and up then cut out 10Khz and 16Khz.

Just experiment. Try adding a compressor to the mix, that'll really fatten it up. Try a compression ration of 8:1 for bass, 10:1 (on the brink of limit) for drums etc.

Merls

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Does anyone know where I can get more plugins for Cool Edit Pro 2.0... because I don't have a compressor or a limiter. Plus if there are any other toys, that'd be cool! But I'm experimenting with my solo project stuff and getting a better sound... but a limiter and compressor would be the cat's ass.

7. Is WaveLab 3.04 Compatible with that? Its got stacks of plugins and features. If it is, download WaveLab Lite and try it first.

Try the Cool Edit Pro website for plugins? then go on Kazaa and search for it. ;)

Merls

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I tried VST plugins... no dice. It's funny, I never check websites for downloads anymore, I only check KaZaA... odd. ;)

Hey WADDYA KNOW! I found some plugins specifically for cool edit pro on KaZaA... I love this thing. :cool: