1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with feedback

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chris Paget, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    I have an Eastman upright, and just put a full circle pickup on it. Only yesterday did I have this problem. At band practice, with a practice amp, I was getting a lot of resonance/feedback on certain notes. Later that night, at a gig, it became full blown feedback. It really prevented me from getting the bass loud/eq'd enough.

So, not sure what question to ask here, but could it have something to do with the age of the strings (as they sound a little muffled and I'm not sure how long they've been on) or something else? What steps to take with a new pickup/bass/cabinet combo (and nothing else like pedals)?

Thanks!!!

2. What kind of music? What other gear are you using? Fill out your profile please..

3. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    I have a Hartke 4 x 10 cabinet and an ampeg 450 watt head. I understand there would be live situations where feedback "just happens" also, but I'm mainly concerned b/c it was happening at practice before that with a different amp.

Is there anything essential I am missing (a pedal, mic'ed cabinet through the PA, etc) that would help the bass cut through and be heard without feedback in a situation like that? Many thanks..

4. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    If you do a search, there are many threads on fighting the dreaded feedback. If you don't have time to wade through the threads, pm me and I'll help you out. We use the same bass by the way.

5. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    First, the double bass is an acoustic instrument, so if your band plays as loud as if you have an electric bass, you are in trouble. In an ideal situation, you should use the amp to amplify a bit the acoustic sound of your bass, the other member should adjust their volume to yours. Or no amp at all.

If your band plays with a reasonable volume, and their is still feedback, I would go to a luthier to take a look a your bridge and soundpost. You can also try to put a foam under your tailpiece.

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Everything you ever needed to know about fighting feedback on DB:

7. I STUFF ROLLED UP BAR TOWLES IN THE F HOLES and that helped out alot,keep your amp off to the side of you and run a di to the pa and also a mic on your amp then you just use your amp as monitor.i run my 66 bassman daisy chained with the trebble @ 2 on both chanels and bass @ 1 & 2.i have a hartke 4 10 and 450w head as well but the fender has better tone.