Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with Fender original precision pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Jul 21, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I installed a Fender Original Precision Pickup in my project fretless (standard P deluxe). I wired it per the instruction sheet (white to middle tab of volume pot, black to case of pot). After reassembly, I got no sound whatsoever. I reinstalled the original pickup and it works fine. I checked resistance of the new pickup and it ohmed out at 11.25K Ohms. There are no specs on Fenders website, so I don't know if this is in spec or not. If anybody has any any answers here I would greatly appreciate it.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The resistance strikes me as on the high side for a Fender but if you've got resistance then you ought to have continuity and if you have continuity you ought to get some sound unless there was a really bad connection - as in no connection, or an inadvertant ground. Even a poor connection should yeild some sound - static if nothing else when wires are giggled.

With only a two wire change, short of something really coincidental, you know it has something to do with the pup tho. Personally, I'd wire the pup direct to a jack and plug it in (turn the amp way down) and tap on the poles with a small allen wrench - if I got nothing then there's the answer for sure. Either the connection of the pup leads or the pup windings.