problem with Fender original precision pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Jul 21, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I installed a Fender Original Precision Pickup in my project fretless (standard P deluxe). I wired it per the instruction sheet (white to middle tab of volume pot, black to case of pot). After reassembly, I got no sound whatsoever. I reinstalled the original pickup and it works fine. I checked resistance of the new pickup and it ohmed out at 11.25K Ohms. There are no specs on Fenders website, so I don't know if this is in spec or not. If anybody has any any answers here I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

The resistance strikes me as on the high side for a Fender but if you've got resistance then you ought to have continuity and if you have continuity you ought to get some sound unless there was a really bad connection - as in no connection, or an inadvertant ground. Even a poor connection should yeild some sound - static if nothing else when wires are giggled.

With only a two wire change, short of something really coincidental, you know it has something to do with the pup tho. Personally, I'd wire the pup direct to a jack and plug it in (turn the amp way down) and tap on the poles with a small allen wrench - if I got nothing then there's the answer for sure. Either the connection of the pup leads or the pup windings.