Problem with G string unwinding

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FunkMachine, Aug 25, 2004.

1. FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    I primarily play 2 basses, a Warwick Rockbass Streamer and an Ibanez EDB 4.

When I bought both basses, everything was fine with them. The factory strings were fine. When I replaced the factory strings on both basses and replaced them with Ernie Ball Slinkeys (Custom Gauge)...After a month or two of usage, the G strings on both basses unwound whilst I was playing.

I have no idea why this is. Since then, Ive tried different type strings on both basses (including dean markeley, d'addario, etc), but the same thing keeps happening. After a month or two of playing, the damn G string unwinds again.

Ive been told by my teacher that my technique is fine, and thats not what is causing the problem....So what is?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hmmm....

Have you taken them to a music store / technition, they might be able to fix it. Maybe you just have the connections around the bridge too tight, pulling them back, that happened to me once. So I loosened the parts around the bridge.

But you said, "my teacher" im guessing that means you take private lessons. Do they not know how to fix it?
  3. Sounds to me like you may be cutting the string too short and not getting enough windings around the post. You should have a minimum of 3 complete winds around your tuning peg post.

This may not be it, but it could be a place to start.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Don't buy those "32 pair for a dollar" underwear. Those are just trouble. :D :rolleyes:

You might have a tech smooth out the bridge and nut so there are no burrs. You might also check the tuners. Where is it unraveling?
  5. FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Thats what my teacher said - I should smooth out the part of the bridge where the G string rests..
    But why would this problem only be for the G string? And again, the factory strings lasted upto 6 months before I decided to change them..

I think I'll try giving it a go anyway, it does make alot of sense.
    The strings always unwind between the pickup and bridge, never anywhere else.
  6. Lately I've been havin the same problem on my DeArmond Pilot Pro V. I had EB Slinkys on it, G unwound at the bridge, threw a new one on there, 2 months or so later it does the same thing. I got the strings on that the previous owner had on, so we'll see how it goes with this.