Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with glitch in my Fender Jazzbass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by olafrendberg, Jan 7, 2005.

1. olafrendberg

olafrendberg

Jan 7, 2005
    Hi!

I am not very happy with my Fender at the moment..hope this will change.

First thing is that I have a glitch at the plug in. When I move the cable from side to side the sound from the amp is getting distorted or dissapears. I Removed the cover and find that a ground cable was not properly solderd. I fixed it..but the problem remains.

Any suggestions what to do?

I have to add, that the bass has an active element. It is an MEC preamp. Se photo for installation. It is not a good one but at least you can se the components.

Appriciate your help.
    //Ola

Attached Files:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

you didn't say whether you actually isolated the problem to the bass? Changed cords? Played another bass through the amp and cord with no problems?

If one connection was poorly soldered then that indicates there may well be more. You can take a meter and check for infinite continuity from jack to the bridge for potential ground problem. You can check all wiring with the meter for connections between pots as well. Jack is essentially a moving part and is a common source in the bass itself and typically easily replaced. Don't know the bass year but preamps will go bad in 10 or 20 years. You can rule the preamp out by wiring the pups direct to the jack. If you get the same problem, probably not an issue with the preamp/circuitry, if you don't then pups, jack, cord, and amp are probably fine.

Any trouble shooting basically involves isolating the problem and starting with the simplest, fastest, cheapest alteration as indicated.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Another thing is that the jack itself is often a source of failure. You can bend the contacts to make a tighter connection and clean with a contact cleaner.

Best of luck.