Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with Hipshot Ultralite tuners installation

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    9/16" sized peghole required. So, I'm looking and looking for a 9/16" bradpoint bit, and can't seem to find any in the usual places. I haven't started looking for online retailers yet...suggestions on where to find one? Do they exist? Am I going to have to try a Forstner bit?

EDIT: okay, Lee Valley carries them, so I know they exist...

2. i can most likely get u a bit that size but can u pm me with info about what type

3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I just placed the order with Lee Valley. If I'd checked this sooner...oh well: next time, right?

4. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    A lot of people use a peg hole reamer.

5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi Scott,

I saw a few of those at StewMac, and am a bit ashamed to say that I've never used one and would probably be at a loss on how to effectively use it. Would you be willing to explain it?

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I got one at the now-defunct Woodworker's Warehouse. It was under $10. Woodcraft or Rockler probably has them if there is one of those near you.

7. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

I checked Woodcraft for the bit and was surprised to find out they didn't stock them. The one from Lee Valley is on the way and is supposed to be top-notch. We'll see how it does on some scrap pieces of wenge...

8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I have a 14mm brad point bit I bought at my local WoodCraft that works perfectly.

9. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    OOPS! He said the "W" word! I have found that it is always best but, of course, not required to use an undersized bit and a to-size reamer on wenge. Stuff flies apart at the sight of a slightly dull bit. But, come to think of it, that can happen with a reamer also.

10. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Agreed.

What I've done is to stick a block of melamine underneath the drill points and it provides support which keeps the wood grain in place. I'd read about something similar which prevents tearout and chipping when routing, tried it with some other woods under a drill press, and when using moderate pressure the wenge doesn't chip under a bit.

11. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been using the same 9/16" spade bit from Home Depot for 5 or 6 years now. IT works fine but now knowing LV carries a brad point I might have to upgrade...

12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    The local Woodcraft here carries them in the store,
    but they don't list them in the catalog.

13. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey Cliff,

Yeah, I would have thought that my WC here would have them, but I called and they only carry the standard sizes.

14. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i use irwin spade's....seem to work fine as long as you have support under it

15. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    Hi Y'all,

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but the Forstner bits are really easy to find, and I've had better results with those than with any other type.

You don't need a full, long spiral for drilling something as thin as a peghead, and the combination of spade bits and wenge is unpleasant to even think about....!

I work with wenge a lot, and the Forstners work great...they're pretty cheap, too.

Peace,
    Martin