Problem with intonation...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fat_boy, Sep 4, 2010.

1. fat_boy

fat_boy

Sep 1, 2009
    Hanoi, Vietnam
    Hi TBers.
    I'm using a Fender MIJ jazz and i started re-set up the intonation yesterday after hearing some changes in sound of each string.
    When i played with the band, the A D G still sounded well but the E is extremely bad.
    In addition to this, I bought the strings in the Jan and the set is the FAKE D'addario Nickel round. cause of the fake, i think this string is dead. i'm using the EMG J-set on this bass.
    So, to get the balance between each string, should I set the intonation or restring the bass???

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    fake d'addarios? where on earth did you find those? more to the point, why would you buy them when the real ones are less than $20?
    the answer to that question is "yes". (do it in the opposite order, though; new strings, then intonation.)

3. I've been having a tough time getting my E string on my Bongo dead on. Just a hair sharp. None of my strings are close on the 24th fret. I may just take it to a pro.

4. pandaman37

pandaman37 Inactive

Sep 17, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    yeah, same exact problem with my squier jazz. i fixed it a bit better while i was turning the truss, i dunno if it was that or the fact that i set the action a bit lower or that i had simply given the string a good stretch from restringing it so many times testing the truss, but it rang out a lot clearer afterwards.

5. fat_boy

fat_boy

Sep 1, 2009
    Hanoi, Vietnam
    @ Walterw: in my country, all of the D'addario is fake :)) it only cost 15$, the reason is there isn't any other brands like DR or Ernie ball in my place and the fake d'addario is the best of the bad :)) i'm gonna buy a DR MR-45 to restring, until that day, hope the A D G wouldn't get worse.
    And today, i've tried to set the action a bit lower and then higher and it's still the same dead. so i assume that the problem is not from the intonation. right???????

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    That's a bad, bad, string...

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That's not an intonation problem, it's a bad string. it has nothing at all to do with intonation. You might want to check the meaning of intonation just FYI.

Replace 'em all with Labella Deep Talkin' flats and the problem will be solved.;)

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    oh, that's where :bag:
    right, changing the height is not what you're looking for here.

labella flats? they're hard to find in america, much less vietnam!

besides, flatwounds are a completely different world from roundwounds.

9. fat_boy

fat_boy

Sep 1, 2009
    Hanoi, Vietnam
    Thanks Pilgrim, i must try that set in near future :hyper:
    @Walterw: if u want to buy any real set of D'addario string in Vietnam, u will have to order from overseas :rolleyes: a friend of mine was a victim of d'addario in Vn, he said that D'addrio in Vn is much harder and die faster than the ones that he'd bought when studying in US :bag: even some never care about fake or real just because they think they'd never have a chance to try the real :bawl:

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I didn't notice the OP was in Vietnam - they must have a really wild mix of real and fake strings available over there!

And Walter is (of course) right that flats and rounds are two different worlds. That's why I like flats, so I'm just saying "shun the dark side"....:p

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021