Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with Korg Ampworks!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Boldaz-Lepton, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Hi. I just bought a Korg Ampworks Bass unit and although it sounds grat in some settings, it has a terrible hiss in others:GOLDPNL, LA STUD and SCOOPED. The hiss occurs in the default mode of these settings, because when I change the cabinet settings the hiss stops. Also it gets hissy (?) when I use any other setting with the OFF, 410LA, 410MDN and 410MTL.

I`m I doing something wrong??? Did I get a bad unit??? Has anybody else had some similar problem???

I have a recording session tomorrow and I was planning on using it, but now I`m a little afraid...

I would greatly appreciate any comments/replies...

Thanks

2. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    It is a fairly noisy unit I'm afraid - I've got one and I'm considering selling it soon.

The presets are noisier than it is on 'manual' mode - also there is a noise suppressor - read the manual to check out how to control it (I think it's press shift and turn the right hand knob at the top).

It's got some great sounds and effects, just a bit noisy in the background.

3. Yeah, it has a EFF.DEPTH/NR knob that controls the noise reduction parameter when you press the TAP button (go figure).

I gotta say I´m a bit dissapointed, I thought the Ampworks would be quieter, I`m using a Spector NS2000/5 with EMG HZ`s which is totally quiet and a good quality Planet Waves cable, so I know the problem is not me...

4. Anybody else??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks...

5. Sorry no help here.

I bought one of these when they first came out. Very noisey right from the start. Unfortunately the noise problem became progressively worse. I sent it to an authorized service center for reapir/replacement, which became a long drawn out affair. Eventually Korg replaced the unit with a new one. Less noise but noisey still.

I figured if anything this would be a quiet unit compared to the original Pandora I had. Finally gave up on the Ampworks and purchased a PX4B. For some reason this is quieter than the Ampworks, at least to my ears. This maybe due to the amount of variables available in programming that can be used to mask the noise problem.

As a result of my experiences with the Ampworks, I'd say that Korg has lot of work to do in the noise reduction department and until they are able to resolve the noise issue, I'd recomend NOT wasting your money on this junk. :scowl:

6. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    I bought one for me and a guitar model for my daughter. They're both noisy and have distortion problems. If you use too much noise reduction, other problems crop up.
    Has some cool features, but they blew it as far as using the unit for recording.
    I'm looking at a POD, but am going to do heavy research....

7. thanks guys

I guess I`ll have to be very careful if I decide to use it in a recording session... on the other hand, it works fine as a headphone amp... still, kind of dissapointing