Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with Lakland

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Big Benner, Aug 7, 2004.

1. It seems that my Lakland Skyline has developed some problems electronically. I'll occasionally hear some cracks and pops when I play, and when I gently "smack" the bass against my body as I'm playing it pops everytime,... I can form a beat! I'm not hitting the bass with my hand, I'm holding the bass in playing position standing up and smacking it against my body, like it would naturally do if you're dancing/moving while playing. I have tried this with EQ in and out and a fresh 9 volt. I switched to my Ken Smith with same amp & cables and it was fine.

What gives?

I've got the two Bartolini mK1 jazz pickups with the 3 band EQ, and the preamp board was replace a few months after I bought it because I installed the battery the wrong way on a dark stage (fried the board I beleive because of the reversed polarity)..

Any thoughts?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It could be that the battery isn't making contact to the battery termanal.

I'd give Dan an email/call.

Lakland's customer service is excellent.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with Nino, it could be the battery terminal. When I first bought my Hamer 12, it would make popping sounds if I bumped the body, slapped, or shook the bass really hard. The battery terminal was too loose. I bent the contacts in a little with some pliers, enough to make it hard to push on to the battery, and that fixed the problem.

Since this is repair oriented, I am moving it to Setup.

4. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    How about the jack in the guitar body. If the connection is loose or the jack itself is working loose, you'll get that same popping sound while moving around. It's happened to me. I just checked the wiring to the jack, saw that was fine but the whole jack was starting to show signs of play to the point I could turn it by hand (with some resistance), but it was just enough where the connection was popping.. Once tightened, the problem went away. No issues since!

Good luck.
    Cheers,
    Hammer

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is the thing that really stands out for me - so I would go back to whoever replaced the preamp board and ask them to look at that job again!!

I've never had any problems with mine and never heard of any similar things around here - so the first thing I would check is this replacement!

6. Well, it turns out that it was the thin film that they put on the outside of the control cavity cover when it's new.

???

I know, I know, you're all thinking I'm crazy.

I took it down to Club Bass here in Toronto where I purchased it and Dave pugged it in and had a look, then amazed flipped it over and smiled. It seems he'd run into this problem before. Pulled the film off and presto.

I've tried it here back at work and it seems that the problem is solved.

I guess the click/clack/pop noise was never really loud and the only time it happened was when I was up dancing around (usually with a full band). I brought my full rig into my work photo studio, turned it up and danced around and that's why it was the first time I heard it (I always sit down in my home recording studio).

Well there you have it. :hyper:

7. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    I had the same problem... Tried the battery... 2 amps... cables...

I sent it back to Lakland... got new electronics.

Keep an eye on it

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Score another one for Dave at Club Bass. Nothing quite like The Club!