Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem With Lathon's Basswear Resolved

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Monte, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Just needed to let all of you know that my rant against Lathon's Basswear was a mistake and has been resolved satisfactorily. Kerry Lathon got in touch with me this morning and the non-communication from him (I sent several e-mails which didn't bounce) was due to a computer repair that took longer than it should have. In addition, when he got it back, he had lost all my contact information off of the computer, and felt really bad about the misunderstanding. The item I didn't receive is simply on backorder, and the lack of communication was understandable given the circumstances.

After communicating with Kerry, he seems like a trustworthy guy (which a few people contacted me after my rant and told me of positive experiences with him), and definitely worth giving the benefit of the doubt.

Monte

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sure, uh huh.

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I expect we'll never know if the OP ever actually got his stuff...

Bringing this thread back from the mists of time because a) Search Is Your Friend and b) maybe some things don't change much...

I was fired up from attending the BassBootCamp Expo 2 weekends ago where someone was selling the Lathon wares - somehow they were out of everything but Small and Medium when it opened Saturday morning...

Came home and placed an order through the website. Nearly 2 weeks later - nothing. No order acknowledgement, no tracking number, no shipment notification, _nothing_.

The website (evidently not updated since 2011) has no email, just a street address in Gardena CA. The customer service page suggests you 'call them' - but there IS NO PHONE NUMBER shown - anywhere.

So - my problem with Lathon is just getting started. I don't want to fly off the handle (yet) but the lack of communications (nevermind the lack of actual paid-for product...) is troubling. I still have time to work through PayPal dispute issues if this doesn't drag out too much longer.

Does anyone have any actual contact information for 'Lathon BassWear' allegedly in Gardena, CA ?

Thanks.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I agree and it's no excuse I waited almost eight months on my FEA Labs DE-CL compresor it was the first run and they ran into some production issues and wanted the pedal to be perfect but I didn't mind because they kept you updated and answered all emails right away just a dumb way to do business I'm glad you brought this to everyone's attention I wouldn't buy from him I wonder if he has he same computer?.

6. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Thanks.
    I don't do Facebook and was a little suprised the page loaded without being signed up.
    So I learned something.
    I expect at 9:05 PDT I'll learn some more...

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I don't do Facebook either and most times you can't see anything without an account? good luck with everything keep us posted.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Most public and company pages are viewable to anyone, whether logged in, or not. And, a lot of smaller companies have woefully out of date websites and daily interaction with Facebook. So, it's a good resource to have.

Plus, a very public post to their page of "Hey, I ordered something a month ago, haven't gotten it, and can't get a response by email or phone" can usually get communication flowing. :D

Good luck with your call. Hopefully, it's nothing major. I'm getting tired of reading about bad company ethics on this board. :/

9. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I understand, but I can't agree to their privacy policies and they seem unlikely to change anytime soon. My website is a little out of date too, but the content doesn't change much and I'm not actually using it to conduct bueiness...
    I agree. At this point, it was more of a 'head's up' and request for information. I'm not accusing them of anything more than communications issues. And I will post updates...

10. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    0915 PDT Update: "There was a backorder but it has been processed."
    Says I'll have my stuff Monday - we will see.
    I did just note that there is an email address on the PayPal transaction which I overlooked previously - my bad...

So so far it's No Big Deal - 2 wks ground from CA is not unreasonable if it actually happens...

11. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Endorsing Artist: Tecamp Bass Players Gear, Bartolini Emerging Artist
    Funny thing happened to me as well. I too got the backordered email. I kept asking my self where's my damn T-shirts. Saw an email today from Kerry. With all the adverstiement I thought they had it goin on. All I can do is wait. I'm not really that mad but I was like, shouldn't they be here by now?

12. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I didn't get an email - I had to call them.
    I called them last Thursday and was told my order (of March 2) 'had been processed.'
    In today's mail was - nothing...

13. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Got my Tees - Yay.
    Ordered through the website March 2, heard nothing for 2 wks, called them Thursday March 14, the package was postmarked the 16th (Saturday). I didn't get a shipping confirmation email nor USPS tracking number (Priority is trackable...).

The Mens' T fits fine but the Ladies' is sized _really_ small. (Like the XL is maybe Mens' M to L.) So just be aware.

Those are the facts. The following is opinion and conjecture:

I get the feeling Lathon's is a _really_ small company, undercapitalized, understaffed, overwhelmed, possibly a sideline for the principals, working out of their home.

BTDT and I'm inclined to cut them a break in many regards.

I don't think they pay much attention to the website so I couldn't recommend that. They seem way more Facebook/Twitter attuned so if those work for you (I don't do either) it's probably the Hot Setup. There _is_ contact information on the Facebook page. There was an email address on the PayPal confirmation - I haven't tried it because I overlooked it myself - my bad... So I can't say how responsive that'd be, other than they haven't _sent_ me any...

They're not Amazon and you're not going to get any next-day shipping. Accept them for what the small personal operation they are, allow a few weeks for your stuff, follow up as necessary, you'll have an OK experience.

Perhaps apples-and-oranges but I cannot help but think to compare this to another thread, in which Big Name Maker of VERY High-End basses has been virtually incommunicado for months, won't answer emails, won't answer phone calls, and has frantic customers with VERY expensive products held hostage awaiting repair.

I called Lathon, they answered on the first ring, told me my order was in process, and I got it. That's not the very best of user experience, but it is far, far from the worst.

Ultimately, I paid a fair price for the product, got it, and it was satisfactory when it got here. I'd buy from them again. Their signature logo design is nice and I like it. I hope they can improve their communications and fulfillment methods and grow to be successful.

14. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    I had a very similar experience but I wound up canceling my order...won't do business with someone that I have to contact multiple times to find out the status of my order...three weeks after payment had been made.

15. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Their growing pains are doing them no favors, that's clear. On the one hand, they're never going to make it big with their current operating model. On the other hand, they probably have near-zero overhead...