1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with Markbass Tube Marker

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sbociol, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    Hey everyone,
    I recently bought the aforementioned pedal, and it works great with my main bass (Dingwall Combustion 5), but when I use it with my Peavey GV the sound is just awful, and even with the lowest drive setting the distortion is really fuzzy and pretty much useless, whereas I'm able to deal in a nice, warm tube-like sound with the Dingwall.
    Any ideas what the problem might be?? :help:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Is the Peavey active? Battery? If not, you've found a bass and fx pedal that just don't get along.

3. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    Yes they're both active, and the Peavey has a way hotter output than the Dingwall...I've never really been into pedals and I don't know much about it other than what I read on the internet, so I know not all amps get along with all pedals, but I wasn't aware the same applied to basses and pedals!

4. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    if your Peavey has a hotter output, it may cause the pedal to distort earlier, try turning down the vol on the Peavey until it more closely matches the Dingwall, or see if the preamp in the peavey has a gain adjustment in the control cavity. if so, turn it down until it matches the Dingwall.

5. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    I tried turning down the volume but that didn't affect the "fuzzyness" at all...also, there is no internal gain control. :/

6. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    +1. It is very common for active basses and distortion/fuzz pedals to not play well together. I mainly use active basses and have had to try a lot of dirt pedals to find ones that work great for me.

7. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    Well that blows, so I'm pretty much stuck with using it with the Dingwall only?

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Does the Peavey actually use active pickups? If they are passive picukups with an active preamp I've never had any trouble using dirt pedals, but if the picukps themselves are active then yes, forget about using pedals. I hate active pickups. Passive pickups with active preamp? Love it.

9. You forgot a big YMMV.

10. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    This has been my problem since I got my G&L. Most dirt boxes can't handle it.

You need something with a huge dynamic range at the input.

For me it's tube pedals. Not ideal but they can handle the big signal.

If turning down the Peavey doesn't work you could use another preamp pedal in front of it that allows you to lower the Peavey's volume to a manageable level.

11. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I dunno... i know some dirt/fuzz pedals don't agree with active basses, but modern pedals? Markbass of all companies? I think thats usually a problem indicative of pedals that 'like' to be loaded by the pickups, but most designs that don't harken to the 'warm mojo' or rather 'primitive' components of yesteryear for that vintage vibe probably design for a more reasonable reality. Not to mention, as common as active basses are , i don't think a basscentric company would be so foolish, no?

12. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Some basses have irresponsibly high outputs.

Most designers don't build for the outliers.

If Markbass built this pedal to handle all basses then the 1st 90% of the gain knob's rotation would barely make a sound.

13. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Just swapping the pups in my bass from G&L to stock Fender made most pedals usable again.

14. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    @ mmbongo: yep, the pickups are the VFL Peavey humbuckers.

@ father of fires: well buying a second pedal it's definitely not an option at the moment, thanks for the input tho! :)

15. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    If it was that easy, I'm sure more manufacturers would do something about it. But I've used tons of great pedals from great companies, and it's always a crapshoot as to whether they work well with a given active bass.

Also, I don't think that output level has much to do with it in most cases... my active basses all have active trimpots and I keep them set to barely boost over the basses' passive mode, and all of them have way less output than my passive Gibson Flying V bass.

16. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Probably. That's the point when I sell/return the pedal and try something else (TalkBass classifieds are good for that), but YMMV. If you use multiple pedals, you might try switching the pedal order around to see if it helps.

17. Same problem with my Carl Martin Bass Drive and my active Carvin SB5000. The CMBD works fantastically with my Am Std Jazz, but it's so hard to control with the Carvin. I just wanted to get the tube warmth and use it as an "always on" pedal, but I might have to forego it with the Carvin because it breaks up so easily.

18. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    @ MCS4: I only use that pedal...I love how it sounds coupled with the Dingwall tho, so I guess I'll use the two together and find something else for the Peavey later on...thanks for the help. :)