1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with Mesa PowerHouse 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drobinsn, Apr 19, 2009.

1. drobinsn

drobinsn

Feb 15, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Has anybody experienced any defective speaker problems with Mesa Powerhouse 115's? I bought a brand new one about a year ago. Sounded great, easy to handle. Been using it with an Eden WT-800 at very reasonable volume levels with passive Fender jazz 64 CS relic, '65 Precision with PJ active EMG's, playing mostly blues and variety dance cover band. Instance #1 about 4 months ago - blues gig at normal volume, cabinet just quits, tweeter still working. Local Mesa service center ordered replacement. They said it was a defective speaker. The speaker cone had separated from voice coil and the coil was not burned. New speaker arrived, they installed it, brought it home, plugged it up at normal volume and it buzzed. I took it back to service center and they order another speaker form MB. It worked fine for about two months. Last week I sprung for a new Mesa M6 Carbine. Took it to my weekly blues gig last Thusday at normal volume. (On new M6 gain at 10:00 o'clock, Master at 10:00 o'clock, active switch engaged, with '65 Precision w EMG PJ) The same thing happened in the middle of my gig with my new amp. Speaker just quit. The tweeter still works. Worked the rest of the night with Mesa M6 running through an unused Yamaha 18 sub. I am wondering if Mesa received a bad lot of 15" speakers from Eminence? It is back to the service center tomorrow. After three bad woofers I am getting a little "gun shy" about a speaker that I love the sound of when they work. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    man Ive never had that problem. I own a Mesa Road Ready powerhouse 1200 (4x10 1x15) and a road ready powerhouse 4x10. Sounds really strange to me. I run a BB750 through both at band volumes all the time. Call Mesa and see what they say

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :eek: My eyes! OP, paragraphs please!

BTW. *bump* :)

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I admit it, my very first Powerhouse cab was a 15, and it made a strange noise. I was unhappy, and traded it in for a PH 210. I had the 210, and then added a 410, and those cabs were awesome. Now I have an older Deisel 215 which blows them all away.