Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with mi sound...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Apr 20, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i recently pulled up my treeble volume, not a lot, just enough to play a little less metal and a little more jazzy, but i noticed that my bass strings make a sound when i push them agaist the frets on the fretboard and the same sound when i pull off the string, whatcloud this be strings to high?? or is this normal on fretted basses?? me Low B makes a big noise like big chunks of metal beeing hit one against the other.
    need help resolving this prob

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The string is metal, the frets are metal, so...you get the sound of two chunks of metal hitting each other.

You need to work on your fretting technique.

Make sure you are pressing the string down very close to the fret and don't use any more force than you need to. Practice playing slowly and pay attention to how your hand feels when fretting so that you don't get a lot of fret noise. Also try lightening up your right hand touch so you are not plucking the strings so hard.

Good luck.

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Good advice.

Also bare in mind that you may want a quieter less bright sound for a jazzier feel so pull back on that brightness.

String action, or height, will make noise with that metal to metal contact.