Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with mid freq and cut/boost potentiometers

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Funkateer, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    My Ibanez has the var-mid active EQ that is controlled via stacked pots. The bottom adjusts the center frequency, and the upper adjusts the boost/cut. Problem is that it takes two hands to adjust either, as one sticks to the other. I have to hold the one I don't want to adjust, while I play with the other. Is there anything I can do to these pots to make them easier to adjust independently?

2. I would get a can of electrical component cleaner and remove the pot (without detaching the wires) and shoot that stuff through it. Don't get any on the finish though. Then, if you can find some, spray some lubricant designed for electronic equipment on the shaft area. If I'm not mistaken, there is a spray that does both of these functions - cleaning and lubricating. Try Radio Shack or the web to locate some. But don't put WD-40 or something like it in the pot.

3. Look out for CRC its in a white can with a BLUE label. there are others but get the blue one.

:D:D

Merls

4. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Sorry, need you to draw a picture :) CRC is an electrical lubricant? Thanks!

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    also, make sure your knobs are not touching. space them away from each other, if possible

6. There's two.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

found them at www.dse.com.au type in Lubricant.

:D:D

Merls