Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with MIM P and J basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluebyrd, Aug 27, 2001.

1. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Hello all. I have two recently new Fender MIM basses, one a P and one a J. both are completely stock, off the store shelf, no modifications.

the problem is the G string on both. there is no sustain, and all of the notes on that string on both basses are very weak compared to the other three strings. I've been thru three sets of strings on both guitars, and it's always the same. weak notes and no sustain. the other three strings on both sound fine.

any suggestions? the store where i bought them isn't very helpful, all they want to do is sell me a different amp, saying that'll fix the problem. i live in a small town, and they are the only store here.

thanks for any help. :)

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    how is the sustain unplugged? It could be the bridge, but i have no idea.

3. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    unplugged the sustain is still very weak on both

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My experience with weak, thin, sounding strings that lack the sustain of the others strings has always been with the G, too. For some reason, that nut slot seems to get the poorest filing job on the nut. It often gets cut so deep that the G is way below the top level of the nut - not good.

Two ways to go;

1. put some super glue in the slot (with the string out of the slot of course). Let it dry thoroughly. I know super glue is supposed to dry instantly but I haven't that to be true at all on all surfaces. Keep repeating the process with a thin coat until the problem is gone.

2. Take it to a tech. That, to me, is the smartest thing to do first. They will look at it for free while you're there, IME, if you catch them when the store/shop is slow, like mid-afternoon after they've been open a while and they've had time to take care of any pressing business.

That's how I got the super glue idea. The tech advised me to take it home and try it before resorting to having him put on a new nut.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I know that Albert Lee puts paper in his nuts because he files his nut too much.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Do he make crunchy sounds when he walks?:confused:

7. Hmmm... my MIM J's G string sounds OK to me...somewhat thin but it does cut through at least...take your basses to a tech though.

I do know the cheap Epiphone Les Paul style bass has this supercrappy G... I've played it and it has NO sound..of course it's mass-produced in Asia so...

8. I had the exact same prolbem w/ a giant chunk of crap palmer P-bass i have and when i took it too Guitar Center to get it all set up w/ new pick-up the guy said he "took care of it" i'll try to ask him what he did soon.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Oh, sorry, i meant "...files his nuts too much". As in he has multiple teles.

10. Good one Rickbass! lol