1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with my 410 cabinet: Mounting screw.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 3toes, Oct 3, 2008.

1. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to have to do :meh:

I just hope I don't botch it, haha. Stay tuned, the battery for my drill is charging.

2. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Move the speaker VERY FAR away from the drill. Like, disconnect and put it to the side. Then drill. I've seen many cones with extra holes from a drill that slipped. I don't even like using a drill to screw a speaker down, but I still do it :D

3. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Hah well yeah... i meant more along the lines of splitting wood, etc. But I guess if that happens I can just drill more holes.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Assuming eight screws that's a load of one pound per screw. Drywall puts a lot more stress on screws than that. From a strength aspect with a neo driver even four screws would be adequate, but the gasket seal would likely be poor.

5. For the record, i love my Avatar cab and i've only heard of a couple people having this problem. But let's not derail this thread and try to stay on topic.

6. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Success. Well, as far as I can tell. The big test will be at practice tomorrow when I can really get to gig-level volumes.

7. Did you use the T-nut approach or just reposition the speaker, re-drill and use the same screws?

8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I recently had this problem with a cabinet
    i got from a dr. co. 15" neo,it was mounted
    with drywall screws, i replaced them with nuts
    and bolts,each bolt has two washers two nuts,
    the speaker is now secure i'll have to check them
    once a year or so,tnuts can be tricky to install..

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    This would be the quick fix and will work for the time being if you're in a rush. Be careful when marking the new holes and installing the speaker again that you don't poke anything through the cones of one of the speakers, like a screwdriver, for instance.

Then go back later and do it right with T-nits. I used to use 3/16" bolts and the matching T-nuts and they worked fine for speakers. As mentioned, buy some extras to practice with and see if you can get some lock washers to prevent the bolts from loosening under vibration.
    When reinstalling the speakers don't screw the bolts down too tight or you could distort the speaker frame and damage the speaker.

10. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Repositioned and re-drilled. But I did pilot holes all the way through so I could easily go back and use t-nuts later with longer screws.

11. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Success. Sounded great at practice today. Thanks for the help gang :)