1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with my amp (Well, I hope not...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MovingPictures, Nov 15, 2006.

1. MovingPictures

MovingPictures

Oct 25, 2006
    I'm fairly new to bass playing, I have a 30 watt Laney amp at the moment which has served me well for the last few months until now. :meh:

I went away for the weekend, came back home, plugged in my bass... And it sounds like I'm playing under water (That's the best way I can describe it)

It hadn't been touched the whole time, still on the same settings, so why has the sound changed all of a sudden? I use headphones most of the time and it's not quite as much of a problem with them, but it's still noticable how much the sound has deteriorated (again.. a sort of murky, under water sound is what I'd describe it as, it definately didn't sound this way before.)

Any ideas guys?

2. are you playing in your swimming pool?

3. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    First up. Are you certain it's your amp that's the culprit?
    Try your bass with your cable in a different amp. If everything sound the way it should then it's your amp. If you r'e still getting the muddy sound try a different cable. If you're still getting a muddy sound with a differetnt cable it's probably your bass. Is your bass passive or active? If so when was the last time you changed the battery?
    - Good Luck!

4. MovingPictures

MovingPictures

Oct 25, 2006
    Hmm.. it's passive.
    I'll try out your suggestions though.