1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with my Badass II

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Low_End_Theory, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Low_End_Theory

Low_End_Theory

Mar 5, 2008
    Hey everyone! I'm new here, and it's good to have finally found a big bass community. I have been playing for about 4 months, and I just got a Badass II bridge. Unfortunately, it's ungrooved. Any suggestions on filing? Thanks!

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    file grooves or take it to a shop and have them file grooves. I bought a set of files from stewmac and did it myself.

3. Low_End_Theory

Low_End_Theory

Mar 5, 2008
    Cool, thanks. Hate to sound naggy, but what are your string gauges, and what kind of files did you order? Just for clarification.

4. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    You can play it un-grooved for awhile and see how you like it. Some prefer it that way. Others prefer grooves. Depends a lot on your playing style. I've had them both ways and I prefer grooved. Unless you feel VERY confident about filing it yourself, I would highly recommend letting a local luthier/setup guy do it. Be advised, if you did not already know, Quan makes one with the saddles pre-grooved. I got my last one from Brian at BestBassGear. Highly recommended online shop.

5. Low_End_Theory

Low_End_Theory

Mar 5, 2008
    Well, this is good news. I was so worried about DIY filing. Thanks, Jo6Pak!:)

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Roger Sadowsky Says that The Badass II saddles must be grooved and I believe him

7. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    And what does he say will happen if they are not grooved?

I can see where lateral string movement could be an issue depending on playing style, as well as potential intonation problems. However, although it may be desirable (and probably is) to have the saddles grooved, they can still be played either way.

I've done it...

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Oh I can't even remember now, that was so long ago. I probably have the files hiding out in a box somewhere. Just go to stewmac.com and search for nut file. It would be cheaper to have your local repair shop do it for you though, as each file is probably ~$12.00 US or so. You need the correct sized file for each string gage. I bought the files because I thought it was something I would do often, turns out I'd rather just play the bass :D

9. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    I recently picked up a used Jazz with a badass bridge and there was something queer about the tone, especially on the D string. It sounded more like a fretless bass. After finding this thread (gotta love this site), I checked out the bridge and sure enough it wasn't grooved. I did a google search and found some simple instructions on how to do it. If your handy and if you have a really good ruler, it's not that difficult. Picked up a triangular needle file this morning and plan to file some grooves this evening.