1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with my Crat BT100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedSubway, Mar 26, 2009.

1. RedSubway

RedSubway

Jul 26, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey, I've actually posted a problem similar to this one before and you guys were very helpful.

Okay, so I have a Crate BT100 and a 1970 Fender Jazz Bass. My Crate stopped giving me sound today (during practice no less) and clearly it is an issue with a connection or something, not the fuse and not a short in the wiring or anything like that. It is also a problem with the amp, not the bass.

Last time, I had a problem with the headphone jack. The connectors or whatever weren't making a connection, thus fooling the amp into thinking there were still headphones attached and giving me no sound.

This time the fix I did last time isn't working, but when I plug in headphones, I do get sound. So my question is: are there any problems like the one I mentioned BESIDES headphone jack problems that would give me no sound, but still have the tuner, signal light, and headphone jack work?

EDIT: I'm sorry for the misspelling of "Crate" in the title, I feel like an idiot haha.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi RedSubway.

If everything works except your combo's speaker, then the problem could be a number of things:

- a bad power amp

- a bad cable connection between the power amp & speaker. (Is the spkr. totally dead, or is there still a faint hiss?)

- or perhaps one of your BT100's rear panel jacks are malfunctioning?

View attachment 123576

--------

Do you have a CRATE BT100 owner's manual?

Hmm... LOUD Tech. does not offer manual downloads for CRATE amps unless said product is registered first. (Truly a bogus policy in view of how some other amp makers freely allow one to download manuals, schematics, and parts lists etc.)

No matter. You can download a CRATE BT100 manual here:

(Please note: If you are an MS Windows user, make sure your OS and all the mal-ware countermeasures which you use are up-to-date before possibly running afoul of spyware by downloading anything from a 3rd party Web site which supplies access to that which is otherwise restricted.)

Crate BT100 Bass Combo Amp Owner's Manual (click 'Go to View/Download Page >>', then click 'VIEW/DOWNLOAD').

3. According to the manual, the headphone jack gets its signal from the speaker output. If you are getting undistorted sound from the headphone jack your power amp is ok. The internal speaker gets its signal in series from the external speaker jack and is grounded via a switch on the headphone jack.

Most likely problem is either the switch on the headphone jack is dirty removing the ground connection or the switch on the external speaker jack that shorts it when not in use is dirty removing the signal feed for the internal speaker.

Resolution is to clean the contacts on both of those jacks.

Paul

4. RedSubway

RedSubway

Jul 26, 2008
    Indiana
    Alright, thanks. Now what I want to know: is there any way to just bypass the headphone jack completely? One of the three connectors is broken. Can I just solder it?

This is very frustrating, I need this amp for Sunday at church and for the annual Battle of the Bands at school on Thursday.

5. If you can see where the connection is broken from then yes you can just solder it back where it belongs.

Paul