1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with my home made p-bass, need help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FrednBass, Jun 26, 2012.

1. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I need help over here people, my bass it's not working properly.
    Here's a picture of it:
    [​IMG]
    The configuration of the controls, from neck to bridge:
    Humbucker volume
    Slip-p volume
    Master tone

Here's the problem:
    The Humbucker works just fine... but the Split-p (Kent Armstrong) volume doesn't go turning up slowly like it should. It's in complete silence and when it gets to '7' suddenly it turns on, almost like an on/off switch. And from the 7 to 10 works normally, but doesn't seem to be as loud as a p-bass pickup should.
    Plus, the tone is working as volume too. When the volume knob is 0 and the tone is 10, it sounds like the volume it's at 3 or 4 (and tone at 10). When both pickups are at 10, it sounds almost like it's only the humbucker. There's a difference, but it's hard to notice.

What's the problem here? The volume knob, the pickup itself or the wiring?
    Or maybe everything?

Help me, please!

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    :help::help::help:

3. Sorry bud, I don't know diddly about wiring and such. That being said, the only thing I can offer you is a "kudos", that is one sexy bass!

4. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Thanks, man! It looks better in person :D

5. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    Could be the volume knob or the pickup. I recommend unsoldering the pickup (so the wires aren't connected to anything) and checking its DC resistance with a multimeter/ohmeter. Should be around 10k ohm. If it's a very large number or a very small number (less than 2k or so), the pickup needs replacing.

If the pickup seems fine, replace the volume pot and see if that sorts it out.

6. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    A picture of the front isn't really going to help solve the problem. :rollno: Remove the pickguard and take a clear, in-focus picture of the electronics, especially the volume and tone pots. Use your camera's 'macro' mode if it has one. I presume you wired it like a Jazz Bass?

What's the history here? Did you mod this bass yourself? Was it working before?

7. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    ^^^^What he said.

8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

For the sudden volume increase - it could be that you have linear pots instead of audio taper OR that they are possible reverse taper.

For the imbalance - The humbucker may have much more output than the other.

Check the resistance of the pickups - normal is around 10K Ohms. If the humbucker is much lower - say 5K, you should add an isolation resistor of 5-10K.

Since you have 2 pickups - Be SURE that the Volume pots are wired as a JAZZ bass and not like a P bass. The pot should go between output and ground, and the center to the pickup hot lead.

Good luck - it will be something simple.

9. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Thank you, guys!
    I didn't wired it, it's all luthier's work there. Never worked properly, and now it's getting annoying (less than a year i have it).

I don't have a camera to take pictures of the wiring, but i'm gonna try.

10. wooodhead

wooodhead

Jul 16, 2011
    Hungary EU
    -Try to invert the two wires of the" P" pick-up.
    -Maybe the middle and the outside wire of the master volume is inverted.
    I think these should be the first things to check.

11. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    is there any crackling or other noises are you open up the pot?

Todd :)

12. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    This, there are different types of Pots for different uses and what you describe tells me the p pickup pot might be a linear taper instead of an audio taper one.

13. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    No, the bass doesn't hum or make nay other undesirable noises ever.

I'm going to check the volume pot, seems to be the real problem.

Thanks you all